KS Merci Boxcar Museum & Veterans Memorial Park

category : Museums
KS Merci Boxcar Museum & Veterans Memorial Park Kansas Merci Boxcar Museum & Veterans Memorial Park
At the close of World War II the French nation was devastated. Reconstruction was a slow process. Farmlands had been ravished. War-damaged factories had to be rebuilt and retooled before industry could begin the production of civilian goods. By 1947, two years after the war ended, France had not yet sufficiently recovered to provide food and other necessities for her people.

Drew Pearson, a well known radio commentator and Washington Post columnist, suggested the American people do something to help ease the hunger. That was on October 11, 1947. Mr. Pearson suggested we send a boxcar filled with donated food to their former ally. Immediately the American people began to act; donations began pouring in from every state. Just three short weeks later an engine pulling 11 filled boxcars left L.A. bound for New York. Trains were added along the way, by the time it arrived in New York, 700 cars filled with tons of food, clothing, and medical supplies were lined up to be loaded on the S.S. American Leader.

To express their gratitude, the French people collected over 50,000 gifts ranging from Sevres pottery, Limoges porcelains, Baccaret crystal, engraved woodwork, church bells, bonnets, peasant costumes, and simple drawings from the children of France. The gifts were delivered using France's infamous boxcars.

These boxcars were built in France between 1852-1885 for use of shipping freight, horses, cattle and other domestic animals and troops during the two wars. Forty-nine of these cars were located, one for each state and the District of Columbia. The boxcars were repaired, painted and then filled with the gifts and called the "Gratitude Train."

The boxcars arrived in the United States early February, 1949. The Kansas Merci Boxcar was accepted by "MERCI GIFTS FOR KANSAS, INC." After being on display in Topeka, the car made a 140 day tour of Kansas visiting 120 towns. Ending on Armistice Day, November 11, 1949, the boxcar was placed next to the library on the campus of the then Fort Hays State College.

The restored Kansas Merci Boxcar Museum and the Veterans Memorial Park can be seen at the Hays American Legion Hall.

Admission: Free Admission
Hours: Guided tours available by appointment.
Address: 1305 Canterbury
Phone: 785-625-9681

Admission: Free- donations accepted
Hours: By Appointment
Address: 13th & Canterbury
Phone: 785-628-8202

Come visit us in Hays, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Historic Downtown Chestnut Street District

The road in downtown Hays City that is now known as Main Street was originally called Chestnut Street in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The word "City" was officially dropped from the name Hays City in 1885 and by 1930

Hays, KS Historic Districts

Fort Hays Municipal Golf Course

(public) This well-maintained course built in 1920, and designed by Dewey Longworth, has excellent bent grass greens. A few trees can alter your shots. Even though there are few sand bunkers, there are water hazards coming into play on a couple of holes. Hole #18, a 155-yard, par 3

Hays, KS Golf Courses

Mt. Allen Cemetery Tree Swings

As with many of the cemetery stories and records that date back to 100

Hays, KS Cemeteries

Volga-German Heritage

Volga German settlers began arriving in Ellis County in the mid-1870'

Hays, KS Ethnic Heritage

Precision Valley Golf Center

"Precision Valley Golf Center where the golf season never ends." The facility offers golfers a much needed place to practice and work on their game. It is currently the most technologically advanced golf club fitting center between Kansas City and Denver. The 6000

Hays, KS Fun Centers

Things to do Museums near Hays, KS