LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Frontier Army Museum


category : Museums
Frontier Army Museum The Frontier Army Museum depicts the Frontier Army (1817-1917) and history of Fort Leavenworth (1827-present). The original collection began in 1939 when the wagon shop at Fort Leavenworth closed and the horse-drawn vehicles were relocated and called the "Old Rolling Wheels Museum". In 1960, the Museum was officially recognized as an Army Museum and has continued to preserve one of the finest collections of nineteenth century military artifacts in the country.

The museum collection of over five thousand items consists of weapons, uniforms, equipment, and vehicles used by Frontier Army soldiers as well as many Fort Leavenworth related items. Two of the premier pieces are the 1832 General Officer Coat worn by General Henry Leavenworth and a Curtiss JN4D aircraft, of the type used by General Pershing during the "Punitive Expedition" into Mexico. It displays one of the largest collections of military carriages on exhibit; a carriage used by Abraham Lincoln in 1859; and the history of the Frontier Army in the West.

The Fort Leavenworth gallery highlights the importance of Fort Leavenworth's role in the exploration and expansion of the nation throughout the nineteenth century as well as its continuing role in soldier education. The Museum's main gallery highlights the efforts of the Frontier Army in exploration, expansion and protection of the Trans-Mississippi West from the Lewis and Clark Expedition (1804) to the chase of Pancho Villa by General John Pershing (1916). The museum offers a unique look at the tools of soldiering used throughout this time period.


Admission: The museum is free and open to the public. Free parking in designated areas.
Hours: 9a.m. to 4p.m., Tuesday - Friday; 10a.m. to 4p.m., Saturday
Address: 100 Reynolds Avenue
Phone: 913-684-3767
Our Website:garrison.leavenworth.army.mil/
Email: usarmy.leavenworth.tradoc.mbx.csi-frontier-army-museum@mail.mil

Come visit us in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Special Thanks To:

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Old Stone Wall

The Stone wall behind and across the street from Grant's statue is a favorite with photographers. The wall was restored in the early part of this century by the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Landmarks

Syracuse Houses

The two frame houses are known as the Syracuse Houses because they were designed in 1855 by E.V. Carr, a prominent architect from Syracuse, New York. Lt. Colonel George Custer and his wife lived in one of these houses for a few months in 1868.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Barth Hall and the "Beehive"

Barth Hall, the building on the corner of Kearney and McCellan Avenues, was the home in 1881 of the School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, the predecessor of the Command and General Staff College. The large building directly west of Barth Hall is known as the "Beehive." Built in 1882

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Frontier Army Museum

The Frontier Army Museum depicts the Frontier Army (1817-1917) and history of Fort Leavenworth (1827-present). The original collection began in 1939 when the wagon shop at Fort Leavenworth closed and the horse-drawn vehicles were relocated and called the "Old Rolling Wheels Museum". In 1960

Fort Leavenworth, KS Museums

Command & General Staff College

The School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, established in 1881.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Colleges

Things to do Museums near Fort Leavenworth, KS