LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Kaw Mission


category : Museums
Kaw Mission The Kaw (or Kansa) Indians lived in three villages southeast of Council Grove from 1848 until their removal south to Indian Territory in 1873. Methodist Episcopal missionaries built this school for Kaw children in 1851. But when efforts to influence the Native Americans failed, the missionaries turned their attention to educating white students. Today, the two-story limestone Kaw Mission, the region's oldest stone structure, is a free museum, showcasing the heritage of the Kaw Indians, the Santa Fe Trail and early-day Council Grove.


Admission: $3 for adults and $1 for students, 5 and under Free
Hours: 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Wednesday - Saturday, Closed State Holidays.
Address: 500 N. Mission Street
Phone: 620-767-5410
Our Email: kawmission@kshs.org
Our Website:www.kawmission.org

Come visit us in Council Grove, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Council Grove National Bank Building

Completed in 1887, this bank that anchors a corner of downtown is a fine example of Western Commerical architecture. The exterior of the building was refurbished in 1974 and, after a 1978 fire, additional work restored the lobby to an appearance reminiscent of 1887. Listed on the

Council Grove, KS Historic Buildings

Atkinson Log House

This building houses the two-story Atkinson Log House, constructed in 1858 on Clark's Creek near Large Spring near Latimer, and moved to this site in 1996. It is one of the two oldest wooden structures known to remain in Morris County.

Council Grove, KS Pioneer Life

Post Office Oak and Museum

This 300-year-old bur oak (just the trunk remains) served as the unofficial post office for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail from 1825-1847. Passing caravans could leave messages for future travelers in a cache in the base of the tree. A stone building erected in 1864

Council Grove, KS Landmarks


Terwilliger Home

With its foundation laid in Kansas Territory, the Terwilliger Home was built alongside the famed Santa Fe Trail as Kansas became the 34th state. Built by Abraham and Mary Rawlinson in 1860-61, this stone home was the last house freighters passed going West when leaving Council Grove as late as 18

Council Grove, KS Historic Homes

Things to do Museums near Council Grove, KS