LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Lawrence County Courthouse


category : Historic Courthouses
Lawrence County Courthouse

Built in 1900 of native limestone, this is the third courthouse on this site. A statue of Justice graces the top of this historic landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The first courthouse was built of wood in 1846, and was badly damaged during the Civil War. Its replacement was brick and it burned in 1898. There have been two gunfights, three hangings, a Civil War skirmish, and several loud arguments around the town square in its 150-year history.


The statue of Lady Justice was replaced in 1995.



Address: Courthouse Square

Come visit us in Mt. Vernon, Missouri

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Mt.Vernon Golf Course

Mt. Vernon's golf course features a nine-hole course, clubhouse, and golf cart rental and storage. There are a number of active leagues, including a senior men's league and Ladies' Golf Association.

Mt. Vernon, MO Recreation

Jones Memorial Chapel and Museum

Built in 1961 as a "thank you" to the people of his home county, Lawrence K. Jones provided a beautiful stone building which houses a wedding chapel, a meeting hall, and the Lawrence County Historical Society Museum.

Mt. Vernon, MO Museums

City Parks

Williams Creek Park and the "Spirit of 76" Recreation Complex - Mt. Vernon's largest and newest park is the "Spirit of 76"

Mt. Vernon, MO Recreation

Harold Bell Wright

Many know that Harold Bell Wright's, "Shepherd of the Hills" was the most widely read book of fiction in the history of publishing! Few know, however, that many of the places, events, and characters are based on actual models. There really was an "old shepherd of Mutton Hollow,&

Mt. Vernon, MO Famous People

Frisco Caboose and Visitor Center

Mt. Vernon Chamber of Commerce operates an office and visitor center at the start of the Ozark Mountain Parkway (Route 265)

Mt. Vernon, MO Railroad History

Things to do Historic Courthouses near Mt. Vernon, MO