The Troxells settled at LeRoy in 1854, followed by others in 1855. LeRoy was called Scott Town by the Indians. It was incorporated in 1865. General John Benoni Scott had the first trading post and was postmaster of the first post office in the county. in 1900, a fire at LeRoy destroyed all the city's records except those of the city treasurer.
LeRoy is located in southern Coffey County, six miles east of Highway 75 on State Highway 57, fourteen miles south of Burlington.