The first school, built in 1870, was a log cabin provided by Berryman Smith. The teacher, Mrs. O.M. \"Billie\" Smith, had 25 students enrolled. Bonds for the next school building, the Little White School House, were sold to raise $1,800 and the school was built in 1872 for $900. The school, Caney School District No. 34, had as its motto, \"Knowledge Is Power.\" The building was also used for community and church meetings.
The schoolhouse is part of the Museum complex and contains memorabilia of early school days.
Come visit us in Caney, Kansas