LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Morrill & Janes Bank Onaga, Kansas Chamber of Commerce

Log Cabin


category : Pioneer Life
Log Cabin Located on the grounds of the Onaga Historical Society Museum is a cabin that was "uncovered" when an old house on the Kirke Grutzmacher farm was torn down. According to L.B. "Barney" Randall, Kansas City, the place was once owned by W. Frank Randall, a farmer and carpenter in the Onaga area. Mr. W.F. Randall purchased the place in 1910 from a Fields. With the addition of rooms to the north and east, the Randall family lived there until about the 40s.

The farmland where the cabin was located had been homesteaded by Mrs. Lydia May, whose husband, Salathiel May, died at the age of 37 and is buried in Vienna Cemetery.

The cabin was disassembled and moved to Onaga for the Onaga Historical Society in the fall of 1978. The cabin was rebuilt in the spring, shake shingles, windows, and doors were added in the next two years.


Hours: Open by Appointment - Calls Welcomed, or stop by any business
Address: 300 Block of E. 2nd St. ( 3 blocks east of Leonard on 2nd)
Phone: 785-889-4457

Come visit us in Onaga, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Log Cabin

Located on the grounds of the Onaga Historical Society Museum is a cabin that was "uncovered" when an old house on the Kirke Grutzmacher farm was torn down. According to L.B. "Barney"

Onaga, KS Pioneer Life

Doughboy Memorial

The Doughboy was purchased by the American Legion and dedicated November 11, 1920

Onaga, KS Memorials

Onaga Historical Society Museum

The Onaga Museum complex exhibits local historical items in its two main museum buildings and on its grounds you will see a Union Pacific caboose, a furnished log cabin, and a one-room schoolhouse. The museum displays a collection of photographs from the early 1900

Onaga, KS Museums

Cool Springs Golf Course

A stunning 9-hole course, Cool Springs Golf Course features 3,005 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 36

Onaga, KS Golf Courses

St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church

The lots for the Catholic Church were purchased on November 22, 1881. The original frame building was used as a place of worship until 1948 when the present stone church was completed. The 400 pound bell and the crucifix were saved from the old church.

Onaga, KS Historic Churches

Things to do Pioneer Life near Onaga, KS