LASR.net Homepage



Menu

McPherson, Kansas

McPherson is located in the middle of both Kansas and the United States. It is a city of 13,770 people who pride themselves in combining the best of a small town and a large city.

The City of McPherson (pronounced Mc-Fur-son) was founded in 1872 and named after General James Birdseye McPherson, who was mortally wounded in the Battle Of Atlanta in 1864. A life-size bronze likeness of General McPherson was dedicated July 4, 1917 in Memorial Park before a crowd of 40,000.

Farming was a mainstay of early immigrants. From the Swedish Lutherans in the Smoky Valley north of the city to the Swiss Mennonites who arrived from Russia and settled south of McPherson, pioneer residents established a tradition of hard work and accomplishment which remains strong even today.

Celtic heritage events planned by the McPherson Scottish Society pay homage to early founders and the city\'s namesake, and provide enriching and colorful activities for citizens and visitors to enjoy.

McPherson residents still remember it as a place where small town values are treasured and visitors welcomed as new friends.

For more information, you may contact the McPherson COnvention & Visitors Bureau at 800-324-8022.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Model Railroad Layouts

Learn about American history and railroading history by viewing one of Kansas largest model railroad layouts. Two train layouts featuring N&HO scales; "A slice of American history preserved in miniature." In this 1,694 square feet area there is over 1,250 feet of HO&N scale track and over 1,700

McPherson, KS Railroad History

McPherson City Parks

Wall Park - Avenue A and Park Street - 60

McPherson, KS Recreation

McPherson Opera House

Built in 1888, the McPherson Opera House was considered one of the most elaborate and architecturally sound in the state. This three-story architectural showpiece, listed on the National Register of Historic Places had a seating capacity of 900

McPherson, KS Opera Houses


McPherson County Courthouse

The cornerstone for this magnificent city landmark was laid in 1894 at a building cost of $35,000. The courthouse, built of native Kansas limestone, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was completely refurbished in 1980. The 105

McPherson, KS Historic Courthouses

Things to do near McPherson, KS

Veterans' Memorial - Swope Park

An impressive local memorial to Veterans of all wars and conflicts. Financed and constructed by local Veterans....

Council Grove Lake Fishing Report

WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT ACCURATE FISHING REPORTS: This is just to remind you that fishing reports are given with the bes...