The Mennonite Heritage Museum Complex was extablished in 1974 to preserve the artifacts from early households, farms, and community institutions and tell the story of the Mennonite families who left Russia in 1874 to make Kansas their home. The Museum Complex includes eight buildings:
The Immigrant House (replica of Immigrant Houses used by Mennonites arriving in Kansas in 1874) displays many antiques as well as a One Room School display, and a Medical Missionary Display.
The Wheat Palace houses antique farm machinery, a six foot straw wheat Liberty Bell made by local people and a blacksmith shop.
The Schroeder Barn built in 1902 has living quarters that were used for eight years.
The Friesen House, a Victorian era home was constructed in 1911 and is furnished with furniture used by Mennonites in the community.
The Krause House, a typical Mennonite home constructed in 1875 is furnished with handmade items and features an interior sod wall and a working reconstructed Russian Oven.
The Goessel State Bank Building was used from 1910 to 1935 as Goessel's first bank.
The South Bloomfield School is a one-room school that was first used in 1875 till 1954 when it was closed because of consolidation.
The Goessel Preparatory School building was built in 1906 and used as a post-elementary school till 1926.
All buildings are handicap accessible.
Come visit us in Goessel, Kansas