LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Opera House (no longer standing)


category : Opera Houses
Opera House (no longer standing)

THIS BUILDING WAS DEMOLISHED AFTER SUSTAINING EXTENSIVE DAMAGE IN THE MAY 4, 2003, TORNADO.


The Raupp Opera House was completed in 1886 and occupied the full third floor of the Opera Building on Commercial; it seated six hundred people in its commodious auditorium with folding chairs used. The front two thirds of the auditorium toward the well-equipped stage was always held for reserved seats to any event. The hall was well equipped and acoustics were good, so that the Congressional meetings of both parties were held here for many years. After an election day, everyone would gather here for the returns, which in those days came in by telegram and were promptly delivered to the chairmen of the waiting crowd.


On the second floor the 203rd Regiment of the National Guard had its armory headquarters from 1886 on to the time of the building of the armory on Main and Locust in the 1930s. The first floor of the Opera House housed various business firms through the years, including Raupps Furniture Store.



Address: demolished in 2003

Come visit us in Pierce City, Missouri

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Shepherd Sawmill - Jolly Mill Park

The Shepherd family has operated sawmills in this area for many years. The family built this sawmill to honor all members of the family. The sawmill is steam powered by a 1918

Pierce City, MO Historic Mills

Harold Bell Wright, 1872 - 1944

Harold Bell Wright was born in Rome, NY in 1872

Pierce City, MO Famous People

St. Mary's Catholic Church

Up to 1883 all Catholics in the area belonged to St. Patrick's Church which was organized in 1871. But owing to the increased immigration of the Germans and Poles, some of these members requested Bishop Hogan for a parish of their own. The first St. Mary'

Pierce City, MO Historic Churches

Chapman School - Jolly Mill Park

The Chapman School was built in 1884 and originally located on the Chapman property about 2 miles from the Park. First called the "Hazel Hill," the school was later renamed "Hazel Dell," and eventually "Chapman." When it was closed in 1951

Pierce City, MO Historic Schoolhouses


Things to do Opera Houses near Pierce City, MO