San Marcos, Texas
Upcoming Events in San Marcos Texas
Junior Texas Water Safari
- This 16-mile canoe race is a simplified version of the Texas Water Safari race for a younger and less experienced crowd. This provides a great opportunity for young canoeist and kayakers to gain experience in the water.
$25 entry fee
Address: San Marcos City Park, 170 Bobcat Dr , San Marcos, Texas
|Summer in the Park - Enjoy free music on the banks of the San Marcos River at the annual Summer in the Park outdoor concert series Thursdays from 7:30 to 9 p.m. from June through mid August at San Marcos Plaza.|
|Art Squared Arts Market - Every second Saturday of the month from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Art Squared holds their monthly Arts Market at the downtown square in San Marcos, Texas. Artists exhibit and sell their local original art such as paintings, jewelry, ceramics and more, while musicians perform during the event. Each month a local non profit organization is featured.|
San Marcos Area League of Women Voters Annual Wine Tasting
- The San Marcos Area League of Women Voters will hold its annual Texas Wine Tasting Fundraiser from 6 to 8 p.m. An important fundraiser for the League's voter education services, the annual wine tasting traditionally features wines from a Texas winery.
Proceeds from the wine tasting event fund publication of the League's local Voters Guide, as well as expenses incurred by the Candidates Debate and a Candidates Meet-and-Greet Reception. Wine tasting tickets are available from any League member for a donation of $20. Tickets will also be available at the door.
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan, political organization that encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government and influences public policy through education and advocacy. The League of Women Voters does not support any particular candidate or party.
For more information on the Texas Wine Tasting Fundraiser, call (512) 353-3595. For League membership information, call (512) 353-2872.
Address: Quail Creek Country Club, 2701 Airport, Hwy 21 , San Marcos, Texas
|9 - 10||
Guadalupe Valley Dog Fanciers AKC Dog Show
- Attention all dog lovers: The Guadalupe Valley Dog Fanciers are hosting their weekend of AKC licensed conformation dog shows. Breed judging will begin at 8 a.m. and Best in Show judging will take place around 5 p.m. each day. Spectators can enjoy watching over 150 different breeds of dogs compete for championship points and best in show. The best of breed winners will compete in one of seven groups early in the afternoon with the seven winners competing to be the Best in Show.
A food concession stand will be open and vendors will be on display selling toys, treats, and supplies for your four-legged friends. Information about different breeds present will also be available. We ask that baby strollers not be brought into the building. Dogs that are not entered to compete are not permitted on the show grounds.
For more information, call 512-357-6102 or 512-227-0682. For judging times, call after Feb. 11.
Address: Hays County Civic Center, 300 S Clovis Barber Dr. , San Marcos, Texas
|23||Mystic Music Fest - The Mystic Music Festival was created in the fall of 2008 by a collection of fraternity brothers at Texas State University. Originally planning for a fall social, the idea of using live entertainment blossomed into an event that would showcase and support the local talents of artisans and musicians in the greater San Marcos area. Location: LBJ Student Center- Texas State University, 109 Student Center Dr. 5:00-11:00 p.m.|
|29 - 30||
Texas State University Mariachi Festival
- More than 150 middle and high school students travel from schools and colleges throughout Texas to participate in a competition and instructional seminars focusing on various aspects of the mariachi art form. The festival culminates with "La Feria del Mariachi Concert" and will be held May 1 from 7:00-9:30 p.m. in Strahan Coliseum at Texas State University-San Marcos. For more information, please visit the Texas State Multi-Cultural Music home page at www.txstate.edu/mcmusic or contact John Lopez at 512-245-2651.
Address: Strahan Coliseum at Texas State Univesity , San Marcos, Texas
|30||Youthfest - The annual celebration of kids and arts will feature bands performing all day, dancing, poetry reading, a petting zoo. arts, and crafts activities such as mask making, painting, and paper mache'. Concession sales will benefit the Greater San Marcos Youth Council. All activities are free of charge. Event will be held on the banks of the San Marcos River at San Marcos Plaza Park from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.|
|5 - 7||
Annual Spring Fest
- The Annual Springs Fest at Rio Vista Park will bring together paddling enthusiasts, competitors and the City of San Marcos to celebrate the springs and paddling in the Texas Hill Country. The whitewater rapids at Rio Vista Falls continue to be a popular hot spot for kayakers and canoeists around the country and serves as a perfect location for the high-energy, three-day water recreation festival.
There will be 2 hour classes in canoeing and kayaking that will be given by some of the best instructors in the country; Ben Kvanli, 1996 Olympian, and Michelle Kvanli, National Champion, and many other great ACA certified instructors. Also, kayak polo and other competitions. A full list of courses as well as online registration can be found at http://www.kayakinstruction.org/Kayak_Instruction/Home.html .
|5 - 7||
Wine and Art Weekend
- The San Marcos Main Street Program, Art Squared and the San Marcos Arts Advocates will host Wine and Art Weekend on Friday, April 10, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. and Saturday, April 11, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Downtown San Marcos.
The event will feature works from local artists hosted inside more than a dozen downtown establishments, and wine tastings at each stop. Downtown merchants will be serving a variety of wine and hors d’oeuvres at each location, and a live art demonstration and live music will also take place throughout the evening. On Saturday, participants can browse the works of more than 50 local artists at Art Squared, and visit additional wine tasting stops while enjoying art demos, kid’s crafts, music and more. Participants will have the chance to meet the artists and purchase artwork at the event. Children under 12 are free. The weekend ends with a gospel brunch on the Courthouse Lawn for $7.
5:30 PM - 8:30 PM
|5 - 7||
Central Texas Golf Fest
- Largest amateur golf tournament in United States is coming up! Participants play on seven courses in a tri-county area. The event will be sponsored by New Braunfels, Seguin, and San Marcos Chamber of Commerce. For more information, contact the San Marcos Chamber of Commerce at 512.393.5900.
Address: San Marcos , San Marcos, Texas
- Shake, wriggle, and giggle. Immerse your child in an atmosphere of playing, singing and dancing. Ages 0-2 at 10am and ages 2-6 at 11am. Call 393-8200 to register.
Address: 625 E Hopkins , San Marcos, Texas
|13||Art on the Square - The San Marcos Area Arts Council and Dormous Fantabulous will host the annual Art on the Square from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. downtown San Marcos around the courthouse square. San Marcos' creative community is highlighted as local artists exhibit and sell their work. Artwork will be displayed from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
Annual Mutt Strutt
- This one mile walk and Fun Fair includes dog races, pet contests, arts and crafts, food vendors, rescue groups, prizes and much more. Dogs must be on a leash and children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. This event starts at 9am.
The event will benefit the San Marcos Animal Shelter.
Address: San Marcos Plaza Park, 206 North C M Allen Parkway , San Marcos, Texas
|19 - 20||
- MR Fest is FREE to the public and provides an opportunity for KTSW fans, the local community, and the student body to experience music they normally hear over our airwaves in a live and exciting atmosphere. What started as a one-day, one-venue event has now grown to monstrous proportions. In 2012 MR Fest featured over 90 performing artists and included over 13 venues on and around the Downtown San Marcos district, affectionately known as The Square.
NO CASH - NO WRISTBANDS - NO PROBLEM
Since its creation in 2008, the award winning My Radio Festival, or MR Fest (pronounced mister), has hosted various up-and-coming musicians including Black Joe Lewis and The Honey Bears, This Will Destroy You, Bright Light Social Hour, White Denim, Quiet Company, The Black and White Years, Black Pistol Fire, and Sorne.
Annual Earth Day Celebration
- Come to celebrate all of the natural things that make our earth beautiful on the headwaters of the San Marcos River- Spring Lake! There will be a variety of exhibits, programs, entertainment, and interactive learning opportunities.
|27 - 28||Heritage Home Tours - On this festive weekend, several spectacular private homes will be opened to allow the public a glimpse into San Marcos' elegant past. Tours are conducted by Heritage Association docents. Many of them will be in costume, and all of them are knowledgeable about the rich history of the area. Tours take place 1-5 p.m. each day.|
|3 - 4||Viva! Cinco de Mayo - Texas' official state-wide Menudo Cook-off will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo Celebration in San Marcos, TX. Competitors throughout the state travel to Texas' largest Cinco de Mayo celebration for a chance to win cash prizes and trophies for their best version of menudo. The festivities include a parade, live music, a beauty pageant, ballet folkloric, food vendors, carnival rides and more. Spectators can sample all the menudo they can handle for free. Make plans to enjoy this family fun event. The celebration takes place at the Hays County Civic Center. Visit the website for more information.|
Texas Natural and Swing Festival
- Sit back, relax on the banks of the San Marcos River and enjoy the sounds of Texas Western Swing legends. Enjoy dinner, dancing, and a festival on the downtown San Marcos Courthouse lawn. Live music on the river afterwards in the San Marcos Plaza Park. 10:00 a.m.
Address: Hays County Courthouse Lawn, Downtown San Marcos and San Marcos Plaza Park, 206 North C M Allen Pkwy , San Marcos, Texas
|28 - 18||Movies in Your Park - Come early, pick out your perfect spot and enjoy a movie with your family. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs. Concessions will be available. Pre-movie games begin one hour before the movie. Movies start at sunset every Tuesday in June and July.|
Annual Salsa Fest
- Come to the celebration of Spring and Spicy Food in Texas at the Eye of the Dog Art Center from 2 p.m. - 8 p.m. Create your favorite Salsa and enter for a chance to win a fabulous handmade trophy. Salsa categories include Best Traditional, Best Non-Traditional, Blow-Yer-Face-Off, Best Presentation, Most Unique, and the highly coveted people's choice, Top Dog Award. Entry fee is $10. Entries are due by 4 p.m., judging due at 5, and awards at 7.
The festival will feature live music, good food, washer and horse shoe tossing, cross-country croquet, and a children's play area. Admission is free and the public is invited. This event is the annual fund raiser for Art of the Dog Art Center. Donations are welcome and encouraged.
CONTACT: Billy Ray Mangham
Address: Eye of the Dog Art Center, 405 Valley View West Rd.San Marcos, Texas , San Marcos, Texas
|7 - 8||Juneteenth Celebrations - Enjoy the oldest known annual celebration of the ending of slavery. Festivities include an old fashion picnic and parade, cook-offs (chicken, brisket, ribs, fajitas, beans, and cobbler), a cake-walk, and kids activities. 10:00 a.m.|
Texas Water Safari
- The Texas Water Safari is actually comprised of several events including an information seminar, two short races (one of which can be considered as a preliminary race) and of course, the Safari itself – the 260 mile race to Seadrift from the headwaters of the San Marcos River. The Safari itself, billed as the "World's Toughest Boat Race", is an annual race via the San Marcos and Guadalupe rivers, from Aquarena Springs in the college town of San Marcos, to the shrimping village of Seadrift on the Texas coastline, a total distance of 260 miles. The first official race was held in 1963, and is run annually on the second Saturday of June.
The primary requirement is a boat powered only by human muscle. Racers must take all food and equipment needed with them, receiving only water and ice along the way.
|21 - 23||BIGfest - BIGfest, a three-day music festival at the legendary Cheatham Street Warehouse, isn't a music event you want to miss. More than 100 of Texas' best songwriters, musicians and bands come together for a weekend of great music at the historic music hall that launched careers for many musicians, including George Strait and Randy Rogers. Proceeds will benefit the Cheatham Street Music Foundation. Visit website for more information.|
|25 - 22||Movies in Your Park - Come early, pick out your perfect spot and enjoy a movie with your family. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs. Concessions will be available. Pre-movie games begin one hour before the movie. Movies start at sunset every Tuesday in June and July.|
Summerfest Independence Day Celebration
- Freedom—Patriotism—Independence!!! This FREE event will feature live entertainment, food and drink vendors, a children's parade, fireworks exhibition, and plenty of sun! Summerfest will be held on the grounds of San Marcos Plaza Park. Rain or shine, festivities will begin at 6 p.m. with a variety of musical and family entertainment. Fireworks will begin at 9:30 p.m. Musical entertainment will continue after the fireworks display until 11 p.m. For additional information contact the San Marcos Parks and Recreation Department.
Address: San Marcos Plaza, 206 N. C.M. Allen Parkway , San Marcos, Texas
San Marcos River Reggae Festival
- Music...Arts...Crafts...Food...Beer!! ALL AGES!!
Time: 1:00 p.m.-11p.m.STUDENT ID AT GATE GETS YOU IN FOR $5.
Price: $6 PRE-SALE/$8 AT THE GATE
PRE-SALE Link: http://smrrf.eventbrite.com/
Address: 205 North C M Allen Parkway , San Marcos, Texas
|13 - 14||
Hill Country BBQ Cookoff
- Come out and enjoy the fun of one of the biggest and best BBQ cook-offs in the hill country! It’s free for the general public on Friday and only $5 on Saturday. Grab your boots and get ready for the fun! Prizes up to $1000 for the 1st place winners of the cook-off.
Junior Texas Water Safari
- This 16-mile canoe race is a simplified version of the Texas Water Safari race for a younger and less experienced crowd. This provides a great opportunity for young canoeist and kayakers to gain experience in the water. $25 entry fee. Free for spectators.
(3rd Saturday of September) 7:30am Registration; Race starts at 9:00am.
Junior Texas Water Safari
Texas Water Safari - (512) 738-6607
Address: San Marcos City Park, 170 Charles Austin Dr, San Marcos, TX 78666 , San Marcos, Texas
|21||Pet Fest - This annual event and 5K Fun Run allows people the opportunity to celebrate the role of pets in our lives and raise money for PALS program.|
|14 - 17||
Thankful Turkey 5K Run/Walk
- The Event
5K Run & Walk. The wheelchair division will start at 7:55 a.m.; all other divisions
will start promptly at 8:00 a.m.
The 5K race is on a flat-and-fast course (net 28 feet variation in elevation)
within Five-Mile Dam Park and the Blanco Vista neighborhood.
Pre-registration (postmarked by 11/16/13): $20.00
Late registration (11/17/13 - race day): $25.00
Current students at Texas State University - San Marcos (with student ID)
receive a $3.00 discount.
Register online at: https://www.signmeup.com/95008
Online registration will be closed at midnight on Wednesday, 11/20/13;
however, you will be able to register at the race.
The top 3 male and female finishers in each age division and the male and
female wheelchair winners will receive awards as follows: 1st place, a turkey;
2nd place, a ham; and 3rd place, a pie. The overall male and female winners
and the male and female Masters winners will receive a turkey and an award.
The awards presentation will be at 9:30 a.m.
Entries received by Saturday, 11/16/13 are guaranteed a “Thankful Turkey 5K”
T-shirt in the requested size. Shirts and/or requested sizes may not be available
for entries received after that date or on race day.
17 and under, 18-27, 28-37, 38-47, 48-57, 58-67, 68 and over, and wheelchair.
Race packets may be picked up on race day only at the registration area,
beginning at 7:00 a.m.
David Alexander E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (512) 753-6920
Address: 4440 S Old Stagecoach Rd, San Marcos, TX , San Marcos, Texas
|2||Veterans' Day Parade and Celebration - Join San Marcos as we pay tribute to military heroes at the annual Hays County Veterans' Parade in downtown San Marcos at 10:00 a.m.|
Annual CAF Veterans' Day Dinner and Swing Band Dance
- Enjoy a night of authentic 40's swing band music and dinner. Everybody Dance! 6-11:00 p.m.
--Annual CAF Veteran's Day Dinner & 40's Swing Band Hangar Dance
--Centex Hangar at the San Marcos, Texas Airport
--Dinner at 6-7:30pm, Dancing at 7:30-11pm
--Silent Auction / Dance Contest
--The Sentimental Journey Orchestra
playing 40's Big Band Swing music
--BYOB, Beer and Setups Available (no ice chests allowed)
--For Tickets and Reservations contact:
CAF CenTex Wing Hangar at 396-1943
--See fabulous dance photos taken by
Tony Spielberg of Austin www.austincandids.com/gallery
(Swing Dancing - CAF Hangar Dance)
--For more information call:
Ray or Alison Ender
At the back of the San Marcos Municipal Airport, is one of the few remaining World War II airplane hangars, now the home of the Centex Wing of the Commemorative Air Force and the organization’s museum. This hangar is one of three built on the site in 1942 during the desperate days that followed the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Two of the hangars have long since been demolished, but this one remains. Built of wood, this voluminous structure houses several World War II airplanes including a Mitchell B-25 twin-engine bomber, similar to the ones used in Lt Col. Jimmy Doolittle’s daring raid on Japan five months after Pearl Harbor. The dinner dance is an annual fund raiser to support the WWII airplanes, keep them flying, help to maintain this old hangar and keep WWII history alive.
Address: Centex Hangar at the San Marcos, Texas Airport, 2249 Airport Rd. , San Marcos, Texas
|29 - 1||
Sights and Sounds of Christmas
- Enjoy the new and exciting attractions along the San Marcos River. There will be an ice skating rink, a giant snow globe, the largest carnival ever to hit San Marcos, and of course special appearances by Santa and Mrs. Clause! Don't forget arts and crafts, face painting, food vendors, and holiday music. You do not want to miss this exciting event! 5:00 - 11:00 p.m.
Address: San Marcos Plaza Park, 206 N CM Allen Parkway , San Marcos, Texas