Stanton County Museum

category : Museums
Stanton County Museum The Stanton County Museum gives a glimpse of the past and fascinating look at the history of Stanton County. There are nine buildings on the museum site and each has a special story to tell about the residents and the proud pioneer history of this county.

1. The main building of the museum complex is built of native stone. Originally constructed as a shop for the road department, the building was built in 1935 as a WPA project.

2. The Santa Fe Depot was constructed in 1923. It was sold at auction 60 years later and purchased \"Santaby Alfred Ramsay and donated to the museum. The depot houses railroad memorabilia including a small collection of 1930\'s Santa Fe calendars.

3. The decommissioned Santa Fe caboose has been repainted inside and is set up similar to what it would have been like for the train crew who used it as working and living quarters.

4. The Vosburg ironclad elevator was constructed in 1928. As the largest elevator in Johnson, it had a capacity of 15,000 bushels of grain. Most grain trucks of that era held only 60 bushels. The elevator was moved from its location on the railroad tracks to the museum site in 1994.

5. The scale house that accompanies the elevator features weighing equipment and other artifacts necessary for operation. A second room in the scale house is a bunkhouse room with cowboys and farmhand artifacts.

6. The reconstructed jail houses the county\'s original double jail cell with attached corridor, and tells the story of the progress of law enforcement in Stanton County.

7. The Ray Scott building was moved from its location just off Main Street. It has the original pressed tin ceiling and wall. It houses the museum\'s collection of transportation and tractors, along with automotive tools and accessories.

8. The 1923 house was built by Elam and Helena Hilty. The original four rooms housed the family, and a schoolteacher often boarded with them as the house was located across the street from the Old Rock School. Altho, the house was modernized in 1948 with indoor plumbing, the original four rooms are set up in a manner that is consistent with the 1920\'s.

9. The old general store building has been home to a variety of businesses and still contains original counters of Tucker\'s general store.

Hours: Monday-Friday, 10:30-5:00; First Sunday Monthly, 1:00-4:00
Special hours for tours and groups by appointment.
Address: 104 East Highland
Phone: 620-492-1526

Come visit us in Johnson City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Stanton County Airport

Stanton County Airport, with an elevation of 3,324 feet, is located one-half mile east of Johnson City limits. A fixed base operation building, two aerial application companies, one insurance office and hangers to house 30

Johnson City, KS Airports

Parman Brothers Ltd.

Over the years, on the treeless prairie of Southwest Kansas, Steve and David Parman have carved out an unlikely livelihood from wood. Watch how their handcrafted and personally designed kaleidoscopes are made in the Parman Brother's factory on Johnson's Main Street. "Just last year we sold 6

Johnson City, KS Arts

Falcons Radio-Controlled Model Airplane Club

The Johnson Falcons operate under American Model Aircraft Charter #3751 from an American Model Aircraft sanctioned field. It holds rallies and competitive flying during the year and plays host to a "Fly-in"

Johnson City, KS Model Airplanes

Things to do Museums near Johnson City, KS