LASR.net Homepage




Menu

State Bank Building


category : Historic Buildings
State Bank Building The State Bank had its beginning with the town. It was founded as a private bank by James M. Harper, G. Douglas and J.C. Lutz. The three partners were rated with net assets of over $200,000. Mr. Harper was in charge of the bank, the first in the new town. Mr. Dengler died early in the bank's history, then it became referred to as the firm of Harper & Lutz. Mr. Harper later purchased the interest of Mr. Lutz and was sole owner at the time of this death in 1908 when it became the property of his widow.

The only recorded bank holdup came at 2:20 on Thursday, July 7, 1927, when three bandits took $2,140.40 from the State Bank. Cashier, Homer Hunt, was atop a ladder working on the clock and the bookkeeper, Dorothy Meils, was working at the posting machine. The bandit guard noticed T.L. Ellis peeking in the bank during the robbery and invited him in. The three were locked in the bank vault. Within a few minutes, Nettie Bolmer, telephone company cashier, entered the bank to make a deposit and released the three vault captives.

The first banking house was a block east of the present modern bank building, and later it was located just west of the Nichols building, then for several years west of the drug store. In 1922 the brick and stone building was erected and occupied.


Address: 5th and Spring Avenue

Come visit us in Conway Springs, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Spring House

The spring house at Conway Springs is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is immortalized within the city park where visitors can still see the bubbling water as it freely flows into the encased pool. The story goes that in 1882

Conway Springs, KS Landmarks

Conway Springs Churches

Five churches are active in the Conway Springs community: First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), First Baptist Church, St. Joseph Catholic Church, First Presbyterian Church, and the United Methodist Church.

Conway Springs, KS Historic Churches

Central Park

Central Park at the west end of Spring Avenue, is two blocks square, and contains facilities often used by citizens and visitors in the community.

At the end of the 19

Conway Springs, KS Recreation

Cranmer House

One Conway Springs home is of special interest because it was built by the founder of the town, Hiram M. Cranmer, and was one of the first larger homes in the community. Mr. Cranmer built his first home in what was to become Conway Springs - a sod house located at what is now 217

Conway Springs, KS Historic Homes

State Bank Building

The State Bank had its beginning with the town. It was founded as a private bank by James M. Harper, G. Douglas and J.C. Lutz. The three partners were rated with net assets of over $200,000. Mr. Harper was in charge of the bank, the first in the new town. Mr. Dengler died early in the bank'

Conway Springs, KS Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Buildings near Conway Springs, KS

Fred Harvey Building

The historical Fred Harvey Building once housed a food processing plant for the Harvey House and dining cars. The building wa...