LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Stilwell, Oklahoma

Stilwell, Oklahoma

Strawberry Capital of the World!

A myriad of colors, from the redbud and dogwood in springtime to the lavish flora in autumn, blanket the Ozark foothills. Northeastern Oklahoma has an abundance of clear sparkling water. Together, these attributes help to make the Stilwell area a true scenic wonderland.

A major event of the spring season is Stilwell's Annual Strawberry Festival held the second Saturday in May. From a modest beginning in 1948, the Festival has grown to become a nationally known event with over 20,000 in attendance.

Stilwell has it all - fun, entertainment, relaxation, history, and may family-owned small shops staffed by friendly people to assist customers.

Come home to the peaceful atmosphere of Stilwell, Oklahoma. It's a neat place to be.

A little history ...

Arthur E. Stilwell, president of the Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Gulf Railway Co. (Now the Kansas City Southern) is responsible for establishing the town of Stilwell. After several years of preparation and obtaining funding the construction started in the late 1880s and was completed in 1897. Arthur Stilwell decided to build north of the Sallisaw Creek instead of through the town of Mayes on the south side. That was a devastating blow to Mayes. With statehood in the offing and the closing of the Flint District courthouse merchants began to move to the New Hope area. The post office was moved to the Dannenberg Trading Post in 1894, and later to the new town of Stilwell. The flint Lodge was moved to the second floor of the trading post. When the railroad established its division point the new town began to rise along Front Street. Under the supervision of Mr. James Ross, the railroad built shops, office buildings, an iced house, a water tank, and a large turntable inside the round house. When the town received its incorporation grant on January 2, 1897, it was named Stilwell after the president of the railroad.

Attractions and Upcoming Events


Eagle Theater

Movies. The name conjures up an era of innocence watered by cold soda pop and fertilized by the smell of hot, buttered popcorn. It recalls the excitement of a well-shaven hero, a beautiful virtuous heroine, and the happy memories of yesteryear.

Stilwell, OK Historic Theatres

Fairfield Mission Monument

"Established among the western Cherokees by Dr. Marcus Palmer in 1829 under the auspices of Boston based American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. First located in Pope County, Arkansas Territory, and known as Mulberry Mission.

Stilwell, OK Monuments

Adair County Courthouse

After Governor Charles N. Haskell's declaration on May 6, 1910, that Stilwell was the permanent county seat of Adair County, the county records were moved from Westville to Stilwell for the last time. A two-story frame school building, erected in 1902, was used until 1908

Stilwell, OK Historic Courthouses

Starr Springs Monument

The Starr Springs area was first settled by the Benjamin Cooper family in 1834. It was the site of the Andrew Adair and George Washington Adair massacre in 1853

Stilwell, OK Monuments

Things to do near Stilwell, OK