The county's first log jail burned in 1854, and a brick structure was built on Walter Street a block west of the square. It is presently undergoing reconstruction for historical preservation. It was used until 1868, and had an original cost of $3,500.
It will be maintained as a public museum.
Address: West Water Street from the square.
Come visit us in Mt. Vernon, Missouri