LASR.net Homepage




Menu


United Methodist Church


category : Historic Churches
United Methodist Church The original "Newman" Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated January 6, 1889, honoring Bishop Newman. The brick structure located at the corner of 10th and First Avenue East was the first Church built in Horton. A severe storm damaged the church in 1894. Extensive remodeling was done in 1914-15 and the church was enlarged. Regretfully, the Bell Tower section which housed a small study was removed as part of the remodeling. Impressive music, from the Rake Memorial (Reuter) Organ accompanies the Chancel Choir.


Address: 10th and First Avenue East
Phone: 785-486-2349.

Come visit us in Horton, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

St. Leo's Catholic Church

The cornerstone for the present church was laid August 4, 1915 and the structure was dedicated May 15, 1916 by the Most Reverend Bishop Ward of Leavenworth in the presence of 25 priests, Abbot Innocent Wolf, O.S.B. of Atchison and a vast congregation. The Sanctuary of St. Leo'

Horton, KS Historic Churches


The Post Office Murals

The Horton Post Office was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. The two murals on the Walls, "Picnic in Kansas" and "Changing of Horses for the Pony Express" were painted by Colorado artist, Kenneth Evett in 1938 and 1939

Horton, KS Arts

First Baptist Church

The First Baptist Church is located at 1101 Central Avenue and was charted November 16, 1887, with eleven members. The present church was built in 1915 after the congregation united with the Free Will Baptist Church. In 1946

Horton, KS Historic Churches

Mission Lake

Located in the Northeast corner of Horton, Mission Lake is easily accessible from either US-73 or from Highway K-20/US-73. It has 278 acres of camping grounds with over 100

Horton, KS Recreation

Things to do Historic Churches near Horton, KS