LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Webster County Historical Museum


category : Museums
Webster County Historical Museum Housed in a beautiful classical revival style mansion, the Museum located on West Highway 136, depicts the rich heritage of the early settlers of the county during the late 1800's and into the early 1900's.

This 21-room, stately home built in 1907 by Dr. Damerell and enlarged by its second owner William Auld, is itself a special attraction with its cream colored brick, mammoth wooden pillars on the red tile terrace, and leaded cut glass windows.

Today the museum features the house and a farm implement pavilion which is situated on spacious grounds. The estate's two-story carriage house serves as the maintenance shop.

From the basement to the third floor ballroom you will find exhibits and settings covering a wide range of history; a post office, a country school, general store, church, and a small but excellent display of the animal and bird life native to this region.

A 1900 Rumely steam engine and a 1910 Case threshing machine, along with many other early farming tools and machinery, are shown in the Farm Implement Building.

When visiting the Webster County Historical Museum, you will not want to miss the excellent exhibit, "Creating the Plains Community" which is housed in the Exhibit Hall on museum grounds. Historical photographs, graphic art, and material culture present a new and enlightening look at small Nebraska towns. By viewing this exhibit, some of the things you will learn are:

* what Yankee settlers thought about towns
* why small Plains towns look the way they do
* what small town merchants did for settlers
* how Plains settlers formed new communities
* how railroads redesigned the Plains landscape and how they helped settlers maintain family ties
* and how various factors have altered communities on the Plains.

A genealogy study room is open year round.


Admission: $1.50 adults, $1.00 seniors, $0.75 high school, $0.50 1st-8th grade.
Hours: Open daily, 1-5 p.m., April 1-Oct. 31 and all year by appointment.
Phone: 402-746-2873

Come visit us in Red Cloud, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

The Auld Public Library

The Auld Public Library, 1917-1918, is a gift of William Thomas Auld, uncle of Jessica Cather Auld's husband, J. W. (Bill) Auld. Jessica was one of Willa's younger sisters. He gave the city of Red Cloud $20,000 in early April, 1917. On April 9

Red Cloud, NE Historic Buildings

Red Cloud Golf Course

Red Cloud is proud of its professionally designed nine-hole golf course with watered greens, fairways and tee boxes. The course was designed by Harry Obitz, Golf Magazine'

Red Cloud, NE Golf Courses

Grace Episcopal Church

Built in 1884 on the corner of Second and Walnut, the Grace Protestant Episcopal Church was moved to its present location in 1891. The brick veneer was added sometime after 1922. Grace Episcopal Church is the church in which Willa Cather and her parents were confirmed on December 27, 1922

Red Cloud, NE Historic Churches

The Methodist Church

[The Methodist Church] The Methodist Church building described in My Antonia , now serves as a Masonic Lodge. Cather tells how, during the winter, the children were starved for color and how they stood in the cold and looked at the stained glass windows: "

Red Cloud, NE Historic Churches

Willa Cather State Historic Site

The Farmers' and Merchants' Bank building, 1889, was erected by Silas Garber, the founder of Red Cloud (1871), the fourth governor of Nebraska (1875-1879), and the prototype for Captain Forrester in A Lost Lady.

Red Cloud, NE Historic Sites

Things to do Museums near Red Cloud, NE

Howard County Military Display

Located on the lower level of the Historic Gruber House along with the Museum of Baseball Greats, is a comprehensive display ...