Woodson County CourthouseThe most significant building in the Yates Center Courthouse Square Historic District, the Woodson County Courthouse, was constructed from 1899-1900 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in October of 1985. It is a well-preserved example of the work of noted Kansas architect, George P. Washburn of Ottawa, Kansas. It stands today as a clear reflection of the turn-of-the-century prosperity enjoyed by Yates Center and Woodson County.
The building's cornerstone was laid and dedicated on August 9, 1899. It was completed for use the following spring at a cost of nearly $30,000. The sandstone foundation was quarried just north of Yates Center.
By 1960, years of storm damage had deteriorated the original pressed metal cupola facade to such an extent that the metal fancy work was removed. The wooden cupola frame was then covered with residential house siding. In the spring of 1986, however, the Woodson County Commission authorized the restoration of the cupola and its original drawings were reissued for the project. A year later, in the spring of 1987, the project was completed.
Come visit us in Yates Center, Kansas