When the Cherokee Nation was relocated to the west from Georgia in 1835 they wanted more land. The Federal Government purchased from the Osage this 800,000 acres which then became known as the "Cherokee Neutral Lands".
The Kansas Territorial Legislature included the area in the setting of boundaries of the state in 1855. The southern boundary was to be at the 37th parallel and the area was named McGee County in 1860. Upon Kansas Statehood, January 29,1861, the area was 24 miles west by 50 miles north with the name changed to Cherokee County.
During the Civil War the Cherokee Indians sided with the south and believing they had ownership of the land, sold it to the Confederacy for $250,000 in Confederacy money, plus providing two companies of soldiers. This was to present a great deal of conflict over the title to the land.
Explore Cherokee County
Walk along the downtown sidewalks on both sides of Military Avenue. Posted on the store fronts of the historic buildings are framed accounts of the original occupants of each store, their dates, and sometimes an account of a particular historical event that took place at that spot.Baxter Springs, KS Tours
Erected by the Baxter Springs Chapter of the DAR in 1931, the marker is dedicated in Memory of Gen. James G. Blunt and his escort who, defenseless fell victims to the inhuman ferocity of guerillas, led by the infamous Quantrill in his raid upon Baxter Springs, October 6, 1863, in which 135Baxter Springs, KS Historical Markers
The log cabin was built east of the Lowell Cemetery in the 1870s. R.A. Hibbard built it as a home for his brother-in-law's family. Kent Lynch purchased the property and donated the cabin to the Historical Society in memory of Marsah Moncrief Lynch. In 1987Baxter Springs, KS Pioneer History
See the Tri-State Marker and be in three states at once! The meeting point of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri is 6 miles east of Baxter Springs on Highway 166/400. Turn south on the small paved road just west of the state line, and continue to the dead end. Built in 1938Baxter Springs, KS Geographical Markers