In 1851, Francis J. (Frank) Marshall of Weston, Missouri arrived at the bank of the Big Blue River. He came to establish a trading post and to operate a ferry. On November 11, 1854, he opened the first civilian post office in the territory of Kansas. Marshall lent his name to the county and Marysville, the county seat, was named to honor his wife.
Prairie grass along the valleys and gentle slopes of Marshall County were transformed by immigrants into fertile acres of corn, milo, wheat, alfalfa and soybeans. Descendants of the first Hereford cattle brought into the county from England still are bred here, along with large herds of Angus and dairy cattle.
Explore Marshall County
On October 24, 1913, Blue Rapids played host to the Chicago White Sox and New York Giants as they played an exhibition game while on World Tour. More than 3,000 fans sat on bleachers, hung on fences, and watched from Model T's when the teams came to town. Advance tickets sold for $1.00 and cost $1.5Blue Rapids, KS Historic Sites
Historic Trails Park recognizes the Trails that merged at this point because of the ability to cross the river on the ferry. Trail traffic often crossed a low water ford north of this park bringing westbound travelers through this very spot on the south bank of the Blue River. Marshall'Marysville, KS Pioneer Life
In 1871, Judge J.V. Coon of Elyria, Ohio, visited Blue rapids and took samples of gypsum back to Ohio for testing. It was found to be suitable for the manufacturing of plaster of paris. In 1872, he and a brother returned and set up the first machinery for processing gypsum. In the early 1900Blue Rapids, KS Tours
The Blue Rapids Public Library, second site in Marshall County chosen for the National Register of Historic Buildings, was built in 1875 for a library and has served for that purpose ever since. The library has existed in one location longer than any other library in the state.Blue Rapids, KS National Register