In the fall of 1872, the village of Kearney Junction was formed paving the way for the City of Kearney to be incorporated a little over a year later.
The first courthouse of Buffalo County erected at Gibbon in 1873. In 1874, after considerable agitation for the relocation of the county seat, an election was held, and a majority was cast for the relocation of the county seat at Kearney. The incident which followed the results of that election is often referred to as "stealing the courthouse records." With the results of the election already in, the County Clerk, Joseph Scott, and his deputy, F.G. Keens, loaded the county records in a farm wagon, considerably after normal business hours and arrived in Kearney about 2:00 a.m. where they were hidden in the "Chandler Building" where the Telephone Company is today. Mr. Keens stood guard over the records for the rest of the night.
The Union Pacific Railroad donated a site for a new courthouse, and built a frame building which was not occupied until January of 1886. This building served as the Buffalo County Courthouse until a new county courthouse was built and completed in 1890. The frame courthouse was then moved to a new location on First Avenue and served first as a WCTU hospital and later as a home for the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Complete histories of Buffalo County are exhibited and recorded at museum's in Kearney and Gibbon and The Great Platte River Road Archway Monument is a "must see" as the only museum that spans an interstate highway and brings the history of life along the westward trails in chronological dioramas putting you right alongside the pioneers and listening to their stories.
Explore Buffalo County
Hockey fever is sweeping the nation and the cities of Kearney, Grand Island, and Hastings are proud to join in. Part of the United States Hockey League, the Tri-City Storm took to the ice for the first time in 2000. A new 97,000-square-foot facility houses the new team and loyal fans.Kearney, NE Professional Sports
Fossil records reveal the sandhill cranes have been visiting this region for more than nine million years. For five weeks each spring, visitors to the Platte River valley in south-central Nebraska can enjoy the symphony of sounds and dancing rituals of 90 percent of the world'Kearney, NE Natural Attractions
Crane Meadows Nature Center is a year-round educational organization dedicated to providing an understanding of, and access to, the ecosystems of the Platte River valley. Open daily, with expanded hours during the crane season (8 a.m.-6 p.m.), the center offers sunrise and sunset tours to a 25Kearney, NE Nature Centers
This 1,150 acre wildlife sanctuary is operated by the National Audubon Society to provide habitat for sandhill cranes, whooping cranes and other birds. In March and April, Rowe staff guides groups to four crane viewing blinds (enclosed wooden buildings), which accommodate 16 to 36Kearney, NE Wildlife Refuges
The Museum of Nebraska Art houses the state's only collection of paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints created solely by Nebraskans or artists concerned with Nebraska as the subject. Enjoy quality invitational and traveling exhibits as well as creative exhibits of the museum'Kearney, NE Museums
The Frank House, built by George Washington Frank, was constructed in 1889. The three-story house listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is made of red Colorado sandstone, with English golden oak interior paneling and lumber, and hand carved woodwork and has seven fireplaces (10Kearney, NE Historic Homes
The Thomas House was designed by Nebraska architect George A. Berlinghof in 1906 in the Neo-Classical Revival style. Dr. A. O. Thomas, a native of Illinois, was the first president of the Kearney State Normal School, now the University of Nebraska at Kearney.Kearney, NE Historic Buildings