In 1851, Francis J. (Frank) Marshall of Weston, Missouri arrived at the bank of the Big Blue River. He came to establish a trading post and to operate a ferry. On November 11, 1854, he opened the first civilian post office in the territory of Kansas. Marshall lent his name to the county and Marysville, the county seat, was named to honor his wife.
Prairie grass along the valleys and gentle slopes of Marshall County were transformed by immigrants into fertile acres of corn, milo, wheat, alfalfa and soybeans. Descendants of the first Hereford cattle brought into the county from England still are bred here, along with large herds of Angus and dairy cattle.
Explore Marshall County
Historic Trails Park recognizes the Trails that merged at this point because of the ability to cross the river on the ferry. Trail traffic often crossed a low water ford north of this park bringing westbound travelers through this very spot on the south bank of the Blue River. Marshall'Marysville, KS Pioneer Life
On October 24, 1913, Blue Rapids played host to the Chicago White Sox and New York Giants as they played an exhibition game while on World Tour. More than 3,000 fans sat on bleachers, hung on fences, and watched from Model T's when the teams came to town. Advance tickets sold for $1.00 and cost $1.5Blue Rapids, KS Historic Sites
Alcove Spring is a spring of fresh water flowing from the side of the alcove into the basin below the Naomi Pike 10-12 foot falls, all in a woodland setting. The spring has never been known to dry up, even during severe Kansas droughts. Today, the spring is part of a 223Blue Rapids, KS Landmarks
After the Union Pacific Railroad converted to diesel power in the early 1950s, Marysville, a crew-change point, asked for and received the great old steam locomotive on display in City Park, a Baldwin Consolidation 2-8-0, built in 1901 for UP, later used for short-line freight hauls.Marysville, KS Railroad History