The Indians lived on the land that is now Ness County before the time of Christ. Artifacts and pottery found on the village sites and burial grounds confirm the presence of Indians who belonged to what has been classified by Waldo R. Wedel of the Smithsonian Institute, as the "Woodland" Culture.
These Indians resided here from about 400 BC to 700 AD. About this time the county experienced a "dust bowl" lasting 32 years. During this time the Indians left; when the wet years came, the Indians returned and Wedel Classified these Indians as the "Hopewellian Culture" and they resided here during the years 750 AD to 1000 AD and then another extensive dust bowl occurred with the usual result.
In 1946, a burial site on the North side of the Pawnee River, in the southeast part of Ness County, was discovered by P.L. Pembleton and pottery was sent to Professor Albert C. Spalding of the University of Kansas and this site was classified by Mr. Spalding as being "Upper Republican." These Indians lived here during1300 AD to 1450 AD. These Indians have been named as ancestors to the Pawnee.
Explore Ness County
The Historical Museum is housed in the old Beardslee Brothers General Store which originally was a building owned by Ross Calhoun, the father of Ness City. When a fire destroyed the building in 1899, the present building was built with supplies from the razed Calhoun House and sugar mill.
Ness City, KS Museums
Granite Marker at the Carver Homestead
One of Beeler's most famous pioneer settlers was George Washington Carver, who journeyed by wagon from Highland, Kansas to Eden Township in Ness Countv with J.F. Beeler.
In August 1886, Carver established a claim on the SE ¾ of 4-19- 26Ness City, KS Memorials
Recreational facilities include a modern municipal swimming pool, hard-surfaced tennis courts, city park playgrounds, theatre, the Cedar Bluff reservoir recreational area on K-147 highway only 27 miles northeast. Good fishing is provided from the waters of the Cedar Bluff reservoir, Goodman Lake (Ness City, KS Recreation
The four-story, 18,700 sq. ft. stone building at the intersection of Main Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, in Ness City, Kansas, was called, upon its completion in 1890, "The finest and most imposing structure west of Topeka." In February, 1972, the building was placed on theNess City, KS Historic Buildings