The Little Church at Keystone is a monument to religious harmony. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this combined Catholic/Protestant Church was built in a pioneer town that was too small for two churches. Special dispensation was received from Pope Leo XIII.
It has a Roman Catholic alter at one end and a Protestant alter at the other end. Pews with reversible backs were installed to permit parishioners to face either alter. The stove was an old Union Pacific depot stove. The church, 18 feet wide and 40 feet long and seating 70 people, was built in 1908 at a cost of $1200.
The last regular services were held in 1949, but on occasion the church is still held for weddings.
Hours: Open Sunday afternoons in the summer - appointments welcomed.
(Sometimes the neighbor is available for showing.)
Address: 5 miles east of Kingsley Dam at Lake McConaughey
Come visit us in Nebraska, Nebraska