The Museum of Independent Telephony shares a building with the Dickinson County Historical Society and Museum. It was in Abilene that Cleyson L. Brown, a local youth, built and operated a telephone exchange in 1898
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the twenty-five room Georgian mansion was built in 1905 by A.B. Seelye, a patent medicine entrepreneur. Museum depicts turn-of-the-century medicine business.