The Benedictine Sisters of Mount St. Scholastica have been in Atchison since 1863 and at their present location since 1877.
St. Scholastica Chapel was dedicated in 1938, the 75th anniversary of the Benedictine Sisters'
Benedictine monks established St. Benedict's Abbey in the late 1850s. Today about 40 monks reside at the abbey on the northern edge of Benedictine College. The historic complex is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Gothic-style abbey, completed in 1929
One of 13 Kansas courthouses designed by George P. Washburn, this ashlar limestone building was completed in 1897, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The clock tower was raised an extra 12 feet from the original design so that it could be seen downtown.
This Richardsonian Romanesque structure of cottonwood limestone was completed in 1894, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It features an arched entry and rounded towers on its southeast and southwest corners.