LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Augustana Lutheran Church


category : Historic Churches
Augustana Lutheran Church

Augustana Lutheran Church's organizing charter was signed October 31, 1910. A group of Swedish Lutherans had settled in the area north and east of Genoa. Work began as early as 1908 with the Rev. A.S. Becklund of Salem Lutheran Church of St. Edward. The first service was held in the basement in November of 1911, and the sanctuary was dedicated December 11, 1913. The church looks much the same as it did when it was new, including the altar, with a statue of Christ, which was an original furnishing of the church.



Address: Webster and Park Streets

Come visit us in Genoa, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Indian School Smokestack

The brick smokestack stands alone where at one time it was attached to the power house that made steam heat which heated the buildings at the Indian Industrial School through underground tunnels. Electricity was also produced in this building.

Genoa, NE

Pawnee Indian Village Mural

This scene shows the Pawnee Indian Village which was located one mile south of Genoa, Nebraska from 1858 to 1878, with their great Chief Petalesharo in the foreground. It is a picture of a large mural, 9' x 38'

Genoa, NE Arts

Mormon Trail Ruts

The Mormon Trail through Nebraska was not a narrow pathway in the same sense as a road. It was a corridor which might be a few dozen yards wide to several miles in width depending on the terrain. The oxen dictated the pioneers'

Genoa, NE Historic Trails

U.S. Indian Industrial School Museum

Founded in 1884, the U.S. Indian Industrial School was located on 320 acres in the town of Genoa. Opening with only one building, the school grew to include thirty-nine structures on 640 acres and a maximum student population of 600

Genoa, NE Indian Heritage

St. Rose of Lima Church

St. Rose of Lima church is of Gothic architecture, its arches pointing heavenward like hands pressed together in prayer. Built in 1951, this building is the new St. Rose, an imposing stone structure that replaces the frame church made inadequate by the rapid growth of St. Rose of Lima parish.

Genoa, NE

Things to do Historic Churches near Genoa, NE