The 3-story native sandstone Castle was the first home of Baker University, Kansas' oldest 4-year college. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places , it was built in 1857 and 1858, at a cost of $3,200 and includes native wood - mostly walnut - woodwork. It provided a "
Located at the Old Castle Complex is the Palmyra Post Office and Blood's Grocery which opened in 1857. Originally located north of the highway on the Santa Fe Trail, it served travelers on the trail and the pioneer community of Palmyra, the original townsite later to become Baldwin City.
Here, and for the next 300 miles west, Highway 56 roughly follows the old Santa Fe Trail, and frequently crosses it. White settlement began in this area in 1854, the year Kansas became a territory, and in 1855
The native stone and brick bridge over Tauy Creek was erected in 1890 at the request of Baldwin's first female mayor, Lucy Sullivan. Mrs. Sullivan, one of the nation's earliest woman mayors, and her all-female council distinguished themselves with community improvements such as this bridge "