Battle of Black Jack

category : Battlesites
Battle of Black Jack This battle was part of the struggle to make Kansas a free state. In May, 1856, Pro-slavery men destroyed buildings and newspaper presses in Lawrence, Free-State headquarters. John Brown's company then killed 5 Pro-slavery men on Pottawatomie Creek not far from this spot. In retaliation Henry C. Pate raided near-by Palmyra and took 3 prisoners. Early on the morning of June 2, Brown attacked Pate's camp in a grove of Black Jack Oaks about 1/4 miles south of this sign. Both sides had several wounded and numerous desertions before Pate and 28 men surrendered, Brown claiming he had only 15 men left. As evidence of civil war, this site received much publicity, and excited both the North and South.

Erected by Kansas Historical Society and State Highway Commission.

The Park is open from dawn to dusk, year-round for self-guided tours. Guided Battlefield tours are given weekend afternoons at 1:00 from May through mid October.

Address: 3 Miles east of Baldwin City, KS on U.S. Highway 56
Phone: 785-883-2106
Our Email:

Come visit us in Baldwin City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Black Jack Log Cabin

A white oak log cabin stands at the roadside park three miles east of Baldwin on Highway 56. Built in observance of Kansas' centennial in 1961, it now houses historical artifacts as well as hosting meetings and gatherings.

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

The Historic Santa Fe Depot

The Santa Fe Depot was built in 1906 and is the only remaining depot of Kansas' first railroad south of the Kaw, the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Ft. Gibson.

It includes unique architectural features of triple arched windows, floor water cooler, dual gas/

Baldwin City, KS Railroad History

Kibbee Cabin

[Kibbee Cabin] The Kibbee Cabin is a reproduction of a log cabin which stood on the crest of the Santa Fe Ridge (commonly called "Big Hill") north of Baldwin where a group of Methodist ministers met to form Baker University in 1857

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Palmyra Post Office

Located at the Old Castle Complex is the Palmyra Post Office and Blood's Grocery which opened in 1857. Originally located north of the highway on the Santa Fe Trail, it served travelers on the trail and the pioneer community of Palmyra, the original townsite later to become Baldwin City.

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Area History Mural

The mural depicting area history was painted by local artist, Tom Russell. It is displayed in the Baldwin State Bank.

Baldwin City, KS Arts

Things to do Battlesites near Baldwin City, KS