The village of Yorkville mentions a fire department in a note dated July 1877, directing 2 trustees to buy fire equipment. The fire house was built in 1888, 2 doors south of the library building on the east side of Bridge Street just south of Van Emmon Street. The village board soon began meeting in the building. The structure was moved in 1905 to the north side of Madison Street, across from the courthouse. Until a few years ago it was still used as the meeting place of the Yorkville city council.
City officials were considering demolishing the last fall, but the community and Kendall County Historical Society leaders rallied support and funds to have the landmark moved to the Lyon Farm. In 1996 the firehouse was moved to the Lyon Farm. The move was made possible by private donations and donations from community banks and fire department companies.
Come visit us in Yorkville, Illinois