Brookings, South Dakota
Upcoming Events in Brookings South Dakota
GOSPEL CONCERT - Blackwood Brothers Quartet / JIMMY BLACKWOOD
- 6 PM When you hear the name Blackwood Brothers, you know that the concert is going to be one that you will definitely not want to miss !!!! This groups attracts large audiences wherever they sing! Be sure to mark your 2008 calendar today! blackwoodbrothers.com
The Blackwood Brothers Quartet was formed in 1934 with brothers Roy, Doyle, James, and Roy 's son R.W. That heritage of Gospel music is carried on today as James' oldest son Jimmy joins tenor great Wayne Little, the smooth bass of Randy Byrd and the singing and piano artistry of Brad White to present a modern-day version of that great quartet. James Blackwood Jr. (Jimmy) has been singing Gospel music for 43 years, first with the Junior Blackwood Brothers in the early 60's, then with J.D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet. He joined The Blackwood Brothers in 1969. Jimmy is a 5-time Grammy award winner and both the Blackwood Brothers and the Stamps Quartet have been inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame. ... Wayne Little is one of the greatest tenor singers of our day. He has been singing since the age of eight. In1991 he started the Crystal River Boys Gospel quartet. Recently he sang with Ken Turner in the New Millennium Quartet. Wayne has performed at the Pentagon with Rev. Franklin Graham. ... Randy Byrd is a minister's son who was influenced by the great bass singer George Younce. His smooth, deep voice and great personality make him a crowd favorite. ... Brad White, the youngest member of the group, is an accomplished pianist and saxophone player. He played the piano for the James Blackwood Quartet and has traveled in music ministry for over 15 years. Hs showmanship and piano arrangements are exciting and inspirational. Brad also sings baritone in the quartet.
From Memphis TN , you will not want to miss this outstanding concert with The Blackwood Brothers! Be sure to go to blackwoodbrothers.com to read about all the Grammy and Dove Awards The Blackwood Brothers have been awarded!
Address: Bible Baptist Church, 2110 Rhonda Rd , Brookings, South Dakota
|8 - 9||
Annual Brookings Car Festival
- The second weekend in June has seen Brookings, SD, filled with hot rods and muscle cars since 1993. This year some activities have been added that will be going on in downtown Brookings on Saturday along with the car show in Pioneer Park on Sunday. There will be a Show-N-Shine event on Saturday from 11 AM to 4 PM around Nick's Hamburger Shop at the corner of Main Avenue and 5th Street. A cruise will leave from Nick's around 4 PM, and will end back at Nick's for food, and enjoy more time with friends and fellow car enthusiasts. You can register for the Cruise at the Show-N-Shine in the afternoon.
The car show on Sunday in Pioneer Park is where everyone will have the opportunity to show off their prized ride by bringing your vehicle out to Pioneer Park to enter it in the judged car show, where there have been up to around 200 cars. Come out for the day and enjoy some casual viewing of cars and trucks in the 28 different classes we have to offer. The cars and trucks in each class will be competing for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards, along with a Judge’s Choice Award, and there will be dash plaques for each entrant in the show. There will be several food vendors to choose from, and with the great collection of cars and trucks to view at the show, it will be an afternoon of fun for all in attendance to walk around and enjoy the cars and trucks on display and to grab something to eat. The registration for the car show on Sunday is 9 AM to 11:30 AM, with the car show going from 11:30 AM to 3:30 PM with the awards at 3:30 PM.
Jim's Tap/Sioux River ABATE Ride Through
- Ride through the bar and take part in activities including a bike show, motorcycle parade, Tattoo Contest and bike games. Handicap Access: Yes Contact: Sioux River ABATE, Donald Urquhart, 309 Main Avenue, Brookings, SD 57006
Ph: 605-692-8239 (Always call and confirm events)
Annual CAMARO FUN DAYS
- Camaros only! Old, new, in primer, dented, rusty, if it's a Camaro, bring it. Parade line up at 9:00 am, poker run 10:30 - 12:30, door prizes, cruise 2:30 pm, music, entry fee 4 cans of food for the food bank. Come and enjoy the day!
Address: Pioneer Park west edge of Brookings , Brookings, South Dakota
|10||Wing and Brew Festival Car Show - Come join us for our annual Wing and Brew Fest Car Show in Brookings SD. $10 pre-registration or $15 day of show. 29 judged classes. Top 3 in each class. Enjoy wings from area vendors, brew sampling tent, live music, inflatable kids games, co-ed volleyball tournament and more. Car show is from 12:00-4:30 p.m. please contact Ryan @ 605-350-5465 for further details.|
|21||Annual Jack 15 Road Race - Sponsored by the SDSU Wellness Center and the Prairie Striders Running Club The Jack 15 Road Race is a 15.202 mile race beginning at White, SD, and ending at the SDSU Campanile in Brookings, SD. At over 54 years of the Jack 15, it makes it the oldest road race in South Dakota and the Midwest!|
Tables Beautiful Salad Luncheon
- 12 groups or organizations in the Brookings community decorate tables around a theme. These individuals also bring tasty salads for luncheon-goers to enjoy.
Ph: 605-692-4177 (Always call and confirm events)