LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Burlington Depot


category : Museums
Burlington Depot

The Wahoo Burlington Depot, a two-story wood frame building on the Ashland-to-Schuyler line, was constructed in 1886, several months before the railroad's tracks were completed in 1887. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was originally owned by the Omaha and North Platte Railroad Company and was leased to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1886, then deeded to the C.B.&Q. in 1908.


It was the last depot constructed in Wahoo, joining the Northwestern and Union Pacific depots in providing service to this area of Saunders County. The depot's main floor plan, which provided separate waiting rooms for men and women, is a variation of a nationally used pattern called the "combination" design. The second level was used for agent's living quarters. Closed in 1972, the depot is owned by the Saunders County Historical Society and used as a museum.



Hours:

April thru October, Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Address: 240 N. Walnut (Highway 77 and 3rd Street) - 1 block South of the Courthouse
Phone: 402-443-3090

Come visit us in Wahoo, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Saunders County Historical Society Museum

Experience Saunders County history through its complex of seven buildings and caboose on 5 acres of land.

The Main Building completed in 1994 and the newer Anderson-Nelson addition house displays and exhibits about Wahoo'

Wahoo, NE Museums

First Congregational Church

The First Congregational Church was organized at Eldred, 12 miles northeast of Wahoo. Rev. Mr. Giddings was the preacher for both Eldred and Wahoo. The organizational meeting was headed by Rev. J.E. Heaton and took place on May 28, 1871. In 1880, a church was erected on the southeast corner of 5

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Mormon-Ox Bow Trail Marker

The Saunders County Historical Society was the recipient of one of two rocks making up the Twin Rocks marker on the Ox-Bow Trail through the generosity of Don Johnson of Ceresco and Christine Nygren of Ashland.

Wahoo, NE Historic Trails

Czechland Lake Recreation Area

Czechland Lake Recreation Area is a multipurpose reservoir located one mile north of Prague and 15 miles northwest of Wahoo, Nebraska on Highway 79. The area offers a variety of outdoor activities for all seasons.

The 82-surface-acre lake is situated on 177

Wahoo, NE Recreation

St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church

The first group of Czech settlers to come to the vicinity of Wahoo arrived in August of 1874. These settlers, who were of the Catholic faith, had to travel 15 to 20 miles in order to attend mass. For three years these settlers traveled to Plasi, Fremont or Abie to attend services. Finally in 1877

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Things to do Museums near Wahoo, NE

Trauger's Old Timers' Museum

Beginning in 1968, Bob and Shirley Trauger hosted "Old Timers' Day" in Trauger's Grove near Exeter every August. Housed in Tr...

Wilber Czech Museum

Wilber is the National Czech Capitol. Museum houses textiles, costumes, a blacksmith shop and harness repair shop interpretin...