Thought to be one of the first churches founded and built solely by African Americans in Charleston, Central was designed by black architect John P. Hutchinson and completed in 1893. The church is an excellent example of a vernacular Carpenter Gothic style, with a detailed protective hood above the central double doors and Gothic windows with plate tracery. The church's interior features a semicircular apse with Gothic arch, and the original galleries and pews. Murals painted from 1912-15 by Amohamad Milai, a native of Calcutta, India, depict the Crucifixion, Ascension and Resurrection of Christ.
Address: 26 Radcliffe ST
Phone: (843) 577-4543
Come visit us in Charleston, South Carolina