This sandstone building was erected in 1874 and originally had three stories. The third story was removed in 1925. The building and grounds were once enclosed by a high board fence, and gallows stood on the west side of the enclosure. At statehood, Cherokee County began using this as a jail until a new county jail was built a few years ago.
Come visit us in Tahlequah, Oklahoma