City Well and Log Cabin

category : Historic Buildings
City Well and Log Cabin The City Well is a hand dug well enclosed in a native stone building, which was built in 1930. Well No. 3 was one of seven wells of which three were hand jug wells that supplied water to the City of Alma. In 1967, the wells were no longer used and water was obtained from the Alma City Reservoir in order to keep up with the water needs of Alma.

The log cabin was originally located at 102 Kansas Avenue. The cabin had no running water or electricity. In 1948 the cabin was moved to the Clarence Gnadt farm for Mrs. Gnadt's father to live in. The Gnadt property is now being developed into a new 56 lot housing development.

Address: Railroad Park, South end of town on Highway 99

Come visit us in Alma, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Peace United Church of Christ

This native stone church was erected in 1881. Peter Land and August Beutel were responsible for the construction of the church. The bell and tower were added in 1897, as a gift of Johann and Maria Klockman.

Alma, KS Historic Churches

D.R. and E.W. Bruman/Schroeder Residence

Over the door, chiseled in ornate German script the date, 1882

Alma, KS Famous Homes

Historic Stone Fences

The federal government abolished the open range in a law passed in 1867. The government paid farmers $.40 per rod (16.5 feet) to build and maintain a 4.5

Alma, KS Scenic Drives

Things to do Historic Buildings near Alma, KS

Hendricks Hardware

This stone building was built in the middle 1870s by Conrad Mueller. It operated as a saloon until Prohibition and then Mr. M...