Upcoming Events in Clinton Iowa
|17 - 21||
Art Exhibition: Works of Lyle Andresen, In Memorial
- This exhibit will showcase Andresen's work in acrylic, oil and watercolor and include his large canvases of arctic and subarctic wildlife. Andresen's Memorial Exhibit will be held at the Clinton Art Association's River Arts Center, 229 Fifth Avenue South, Clinton Iowa. The Gallery is open Wednesdays through Sundays from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Lyle Andresen's sudden and disquieting death on January 16th came as a shock to not only his family and friends, but the Art Community as well. Ironically, he passed as he was preparing to transport his works for his exhibit at the Clinton Art Association's Gallery at the River Arts Center, to have begun January 18th. The Clinton Art Association is grateful to the Andresen Family for the opportunity to move forward with Lyle's exhibit. We are honored to be able to provide this Artist Memorial for the family, the art community and the public as a means of tribute to Lyle's lifetime work.
Lyle's art career started early in life, during his high school years. Beginning as a pencil and sketch artist, he was mentored by a special art teacher, Mrs. O'Neal, who encouraged him to expand his creative horizons through acrylic painting. This effort was understandably challenging to Lyle, who's familiarity with pencil was a world away from dealing with the new aspects of acrylic - color hue, saturation, interplay, as well as fluidity, opacity and layering. The more mundane tasks of canvas stretching and preparation seemed a step removed from 'art' for the young man.
After the limited effort of just a couple paintings, Lyle informed Mrs. O'Neal, his high school art teacher, that he would never paint again! Firmly encouraging him, she told him that if he stuck with it, he would become better and more comfortable, and she was sure he would come to love it. As he persisted, his abilities grew, as he worked with different painting mediums. It wasn't really until Lyle discovered Bill Alexander (who developed the "Magic Method" of painting with a "mighty brush" later used by Bill Ross) that painting 'clicked' for Lyle - and we have his excellent art on display in this exhibit to prove that Mrs. O'Neal was, indeed, a prophet, as Lyle related the story. The Art Community is grateful he persisted in his self-described "trial and error" art education.
Lyle was a lifetime supporter of wildlife conservation groups such as National Wild Turkey Federation, Ducks Unlimited, Waterfowl USA, and Pheasants Forever. An attestation to the quality of Lyle's art, he was the featured artist for the Davenport chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation at their annual banquet for 18 years. From that springboard, Lyle was encouraged to compete in the NWTF art contest, a win-or-lose competition. He did not win, but his entry into that contest was later sold, and netted him enough money to finance his first of several trips to Alaska and Canada, and furthered his journey toward his magnificent renditions of Arctic and sub-arctic wildlife.
Just as Lyle was artistically encouraged by others in his life, he continued to 'pay it forward' in mentoring and supporting other artists. One of these recipients of Lyle's artistic wisdom from the local area went on to compete for, and win, a Ducks Unlimited painting competition, which she largely attributes to his mentoring. His admonition to her was "Brothers of the Brush Unite!" - to foster whenever possible interest, education, and experience of art in others, regardless of age, medium, or experience.
This event is open and free to the public. Please join us to honor Lyle Andresen's life work. Call 563-243-3300 for more information, or visit www.clintonartassociation.com.
Address: River Arts Center, 229 5th Avenue South, Clinton, Iowa , Clinton, Iowa
Earth Day at the Bickelhaupt Arboretum
- Activities include walking tour of city approved trees, face painting, crafts, games, stream table, and much, much more!
Ph: 563-242-4771 (Always call and confirm events)
|8 - 9||
Main Avenue Craft Show
- Plan to attend the best craft show ever held in the historic Lyons Shopping District. This annual craft show is located in Lyons Foursquare Park (corner of Main Avenue & Roosevelt Street) in Clinton. No charge for admission. Crafts, food and fun for all! A nice family outing. Weekend after Mother's Day.
Ph: 563-242-2663 (Always call and confirm events)
|29||Art in the Park - Outdoor fine arts festival with 100 artists, continuous live entertainment, food, children's art activities, student art exhibit and competition.|
|4 - 6||
Balloons in June
- Mass Balloon Ascension, Crafts and Concessions, Air Slide and Moon Walk for the Kids, Night Glow, and Crafts and Concessions.
Ph: 563-242-9174 (Always call and confirm events)
|21 - 5||
Gallery Exhibit: The Works of Judy Gray and Kevin Pearson
- Clinton Art Association will be exhibiting works in pastels, oils and acrylics by Judy Gray of Bettendorf, Iowa and blown glass and raku pottery by Kevin Pearson of Racine, Wisconsin though September 18th.
Our Gallery is housed in the River Arts Center in downtown Clinton.
Hours are 1:00 to 4:00 Wednesday through Sunday and by appointment.
Groups are welcome; please make prior arrangements; catering is available. Bus Parking available; disabled-friendly facility.
Our exhibits change every six to eight weeks, with our Member Show in November. Please see our website for more information on the Clinton Art Association and the River Arts Center.
Corn on the Corner
- Hot buttered corn on a stick, corn-eating contest, corny jokes, music and more in downtown Clinton.
Ph: 563-242-5702 (Always call and confirm events)
Rod and Custom Car Show
- The Clinton Area Rod Club hosts an annual Rod & Custom Car Show. The event draws more than 150 vehicles to Clinton. Vintage autos, custom cars, trucks and motorcycles are displayed in an open, grassy area near Hy-Vee’s parking lot at 901 So. 4th St. Hy-Vee Food Stores provides concession stand. Entry fees are modest and the show is open to the public at no charge. Third Sunday in August.
Ph: 563-242-4124 (Always call and confirm events)
- Learn about the Monarch Butterfly. Join in tagging and releasing them. 10 a.m.-noon.
Address: Bickelhaupt Arboretum , Clinton, Iowa
|20 - 21||
Frontier Days/Lyons Street Dance
- Ph: 563-242-2509 (Always call and confirm events)
Christmas Downtown Open House
- Ph: 563-242-5702 (Always call and confirm events)
Symphony of Lights Walk
- This 1-mile course is entirely within Eagle Point Park over the rolling, paved park roads. The entire mile is lighted by the spectacular Symphony of Lights display. This is your only opportunity to leisurely enjoy this lighting display on foot. Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving.
Ph: 563-243-3442 (Always call and confirm events)
|7 - 17||
Clinton Art Association Member Show
- Artist reception, free and open to the public will be held at the River Arts Center Sunday November 20th, 2011 from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
Please join us for this Artists’ Reception and get to know our artists, ask them about their art, or seek them out for discussion about something you are working on or would like to do! We love the intuitive process of creation, and there are similarities and differences in any artistic endeavor – this is an opportunity for us to share our experiences and learn from the many paths we take on the
journey of the creative process.
November of each year brings the Annual Clinton Art Association’s Membership Drive. Correspondingly, we are excited when November rolls around, because the featured exhibit in our Art Gallery highlights the works of our own members. Our exhibiting members work in a vast range of creative media and art forms and this exhibit is always an engaging and exciting show of their talents.
This has traditionally been one of our most popular events!
Many of our exhibiting members are formally educated in art or are art teachers – but many others that exhibit are also self-taught and equally skilled. Because creating art is a personal endeavor, each exhibitor brings their own energies and variations on what may be common techniques in varied combinations, producing vastly different final pieces. The result embodies the uniqueness that each of our members bring to the world of art in endless possibilities.
Our member artists are always creating and producing new works. The pieces you will see in this show have been chosen by the artists themselves, and are the works they believe are the best of what they do. Any Art Association Member may submit up to four pieces for display in our Annual Member’s Show. Some of the works are not for sale, but by far, most of the pieces may be purchased and you will find their prices very reasonable. Each work has a card detailing the artist’s name with the price of the item.
The Artists’ Reception additionally gives you the opportunity to personally meet many artists who are happy to also undertake commissioned work, should you be particularly taken by a piece but would prefer colors or a subject of your choosing.
Being able to participate through exhibition is one of the rewards of being a member of the Clinton Art Association. Additional benefits of membership are discounts for classes and events we offer; annual single membership of $30 or family membership of $25 may be quickly recouped by participation in the offerings of the Clinton Art Association such as events, classes, or workshops for adults and children which are held throughout the year.
Address: 229 Fifth Avenue South , Clinton, Iowa
|11 - 17||
Symphony of Lights
- This 1.1-mile Christmas lighting extravaganza is set on the hillsides of Eagle Point Park, located off Hwy. 67 north of Clinton. Includes over 500,000 lights in over 50 major displays. Thanksgiving Day thru December 30.
Ph: 563-243-3442 (Always call and confirm events)
Lyons Christmas Walk
- Ph: 563-242-2663 (Always call and confirm events)
Symphony of Lights 5K Race
- This 3.1-mile foot race takes place on the paved, rolling park roads within Eagle Point Park. The entire Symphony of Lights display is toured twice during the course of the race. Prizes are awarded to division winners and the park is open to racers for 1 hour after the race. Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Ph: 563-243-3442 (Always call and confirm events)