LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Depots


category : Railroad History
Depots Visit the historic depots in the downtown district of Fremont in the vicinity of 1st and "D" Streets. There is the two-story brick Chicago & Northwestern Freight House built in 1903 after C&NW gained control of the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad which began in 1869 (now the Fremont & Elkhorn Valley Railroad Steam Excursion Train route).

The second depot is Union Pacific Railroad station, site of the 1904 brick Union passenger station, accommodating passengers for both C&NW and Union Pacific. Razed in 1986, the station included a large freight wing as well as a seventy-foot tower.


Address: Vicinity of 1st and D Streets

Come visit us in Fremont, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events


Historical District Walking Tour - Nye Avenue

Take yourself back in Fremont's history with a self-guided tour of Nye Avenue. View the beautifully designed homes boasting the different architectural styles of their period. There are over twenty-five houses within the confines of the proposed National Register District of Nye Avenue.

Fremont, NE City Walking/Driving Tour

R. B. Schneider House

The large two-story frame house, located in Fremont, exemplifies a transitional product of Queen Anne and Neo-Classical Revival styles. Businessman R. B. Schneider, founder of the Nye, Schneider, Fowler Company, grain dealers, built the house in 1887

Fremont, NE National Register

George Turner House

The George and Nancy Turner House, built in 1867

Fremont, NE Historic Homes

Dodge County Courthouse

Dodge County was established in 1856. Fontenelle was named temporary county seat, but Fremont won the county seat designation in 1860. J.J. Hawthorn donated land for courthouse purposes in 1866. In 1867 the county built the first courthouse, a two-story brick structure. In December 188

Fremont, NE Historic Courthouses

Things to do Railroad History near Fremont, NE