The Fort Harker Museum is located in Kanopolis Ks.
First Established as Fort Ellsworth in 1864 at the juncture of the Smokey Hill River and the Fort Riley/Fort Larned Road on the Smokey Hill Trail, the post was moved from its site by the river and renamed Fort Harker in 1866
The old jail is the oldest building in Ellsworth. Earlier jails were temporary structures like cages. At other times, prisoners were housed in private homes.
This jail was authorized on April 2 1872, with the lower floor designated as the jail and the upper floor to be used as court rooms. (