LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Emanuel Lutheran Church


category : Historic Churches
Emanuel Lutheran Church The Emanuel Lutheran Church was constructed in 1902 of native limestone quarried near Threshing Machine Canyon located along the Smoky Hill Trail. P.A. Nelson quarried all of the stone for the church and his nearby home. Mr. Nelson would pack a bottle of water and a sandwich each day and ride his horse from this location to the quarry.

Mr. Hughes was the main builder of the Church, and Mr. Schutte form Ellis constructed it's arches. The original name was Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Emanuel Church and was established by early settlers from Sweden. Services were held at 6:00 am on Christmas morning.

There is still an active congregation which celebrated it's 100th anniversary in April of 2000.


Address: 71/2 miles south of Ogallah on Highway 147 on a very scenic drive prior to arriving at the Cedar Bluff Reservoir.

Come visit us in WaKeeney, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Trego County Historical Society Museum

The Trego County Historical Society Museum, along with the recent addition of a one-room country school house is located on the Trego County Fairgrounds.

WaKeeney, KS Museums


Emanuel Lutheran Church

The Emanuel Lutheran Church was constructed in 1902

WaKeeney, KS Historic Churches

WaKeeney Municipal Building

This attractive building, which houses the city administration office, was built in 1937 of native limestone.

WaKeeney, KS Historic Buildings

Trego County Courthouse

The cornerstone of the Trego County Courthouse was laid in 1888, and the building was completed in 1889

WaKeeney, KS Historic Courthouses

Things to do Historic Churches near WaKeeney, KS

Hopewell Church

Hopewell Church was originally located southwest of Beloit. Parts of the church building are 111 years old. Founded in 1876 a...