L.C. Barrow and D. R. Dungan, prominent evangelists of the early 1880's, were instrumental in establishing the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Ashland, Nebraska.
This little band of Christians met in different homes or other availbale places until 1884, when they decided to build a church building; which was dedicated in April 1885. The building's cost was $2,908.00.
The building was used for Church and Bible School until 1911; when it became too small for the Bible School. So, a wing was added to the west side. The wing was dedicated January 7, 1912, by Charles Cobbey. Bert Wilson was the minister.
At 3:45 am, May 17, 1925, the church was discovered in flames. In less than thirty minutes the sacred and tender memories of almost half a century were gone up in smoke. The building and furnishings, valued at more than $15,000 were a total loss. It was covered by only a small amount of insurance. That same afternoon the members met in the Methodist Church and discussed plans for rebuilding. After prayerful consideration the members voted unanimously to rebuild and a contract was signed June 28, 1926. Ground was broken on July 4th, and the cornerstone was laid October 31, 1926, followed by a dedication on April 3, 1927.
Growth and expansion resulted in a new parsonage in 1956 and a new Christian Education Unit added in 1966.
Come visit us in Ashland, Nebraska