LASR.net Homepage




Menu

French Cannons


category : Military History
French Cannons These beautiful artifacts of bygone wars remain a mystery at Fort Leavenworth. They were cast in the 1700s in Paris; the name of the foundryman and place and date of manufacture are on each piece. How or why they came to Leavenworth is unknown.


Come visit us in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Barth Hall and the "Beehive"

Barth Hall, the building on the corner of Kearney and McCellan Avenues, was the home in 1881 of the School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, the predecessor of the Command and General Staff College. The large building directly west of Barth Hall is known as the "Beehive." Built in 1882

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

National Cemetery

Designated a National Cemetery by President Abraham Lincoln in 1862 along with eleven others, military graves date back to 1846. Today, more than 20,000 veterans representing every war since 1812 are buried in the cemetery. Two soldiers from Operation Desert Storm were interred here in 1991.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Cemeteries

U.S. Disciplinary Barracks

The "DB," as it is known, was established as a military prison in 1873. The buildings inside date from 1863 to 1964. The DB is the only military maximum security facility. This USDB closed in 2003 and the inmates were moved to the new USDB on the west side of the fort. The 'castle'

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Old Stone Wall

The Stone wall behind and across the street from Grant's statue is a favorite with photographers. The wall was restored in the early part of this century by the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Landmarks

The Rookery

The Rookery at 12-14 Sumner Place is the oldest house in Kansas. It was completed in 1834 and was the first permanent post headquarters building. Lieutenant Douglas MacArthur lived here in the early 1900s. The building is a Registered National Landmark.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Famous Homes

Things to do Military History near Fort Leavenworth, KS