The Mennonite Settlement Museum celebrates the thousands of immigrant Russian and Polish Mennonites who settled in western Marion and eastern McPherson Counties in the early 1870s. The museum includes:
The historic Peter Paul Loewen House
The Kreutziger Schoolhouse reminds us of the early education on the Kansas prairie, 1886-1960. Today the bell tower, the desks and the stove show how one teacher taught eight grades with an average of from 20 to 30 students.
The three-story Olde Towne building was completed in 1880, a year after Hillsboro was founded. It was restored in 1887. Over the years, the building has housed a bank, hardware and dry goods store, apartments on the upper floor, and egg processing plant. The building was vacant in the 1960
Reflective of a prosperous midwestern family in the early years of the century, this home of Lutheran immigrant, William F. Schaeffler from Germany, was constructed in 1909. Part of the reason the house is now a museum could be attributed to its "modern"