LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Historic Frank House


category : Historic Homes
Historic Frank House The Frank House, built by George Washington Frank, was constructed in 1889. The three-story house listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is made of red Colorado sandstone, with English golden oak interior paneling and lumber, and hand carved woodwork and has seven fireplaces (10 originally). The mansion was wired for electricity during construction, ten years after Edison invented the light bulb. The landing on the staircase features a 5\' x 9\' Tiffany window.

Other modern conveniences in the house included two bathrooms, steam heating, built-in closets, and servants quarters. George William Frank, Jr. designed the house for his parents based on the H.H. Richardson Romanesque Shingle style.

George Washington Frank was born in New York state in 1830. Prior to his arrival to Kearney in 1885, he had been a partner in a bank in Corning, Iowa. After his arrival in Kearney, Mr. Frank began a major role in the development of the city. As president of the Frank Improvement Company, his projects included completion of the Kearney Canal, an electric power plant, and an electric railway system. The house was constructed to entertain Eastern capitalists for these industrial interests.

Although the house now exhibits furnishings of the Victorian period, it is more than a historic museum. The house is the scene for many University functions such as dinners, luncheons, teas, and receptions. Regular public tours were instigated in 1976.

Major projects completed since 1974 include repair of the Tiffany window, building five stone chimneys, a new tile roof, and forced-air heating system. Other projects include opening of the porte cochere and veranda, electrical rewiring, and plumbing. The original kitchen is restored.

Located at 2010 University Drive, north of Highway thirty at the west end of the campus, University of Nebraska at Kearney.


Admission: Free, but donations welcomed.
Hours: \"Walk-in\" Welcome Hours: Monday-Friday 2-5 and Saturday 12-5. Closed during university breaks and holidays.
Address: 2010 University Drive
Phone: 308-865-8284
Our Email: frankhouse@unk.edu
To arrange group tours, receptions, and other special events contact KrisAnn Sullivan, Director.

Come visit us in Kearney, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events


Crane Meadows Nature Center

Crane Meadows Nature Center is a year-round educational organization dedicated to providing an understanding of, and access to, the ecosystems of the Platte River valley. Open daily, with expanded hours during the crane season (8 a.m.-6 p.m.), the center offers sunrise and sunset tours to a 25

Kearney, NE Nature Centers

Hanson-Downing House

The Hanson-Downing House, built in 1886

Kearney, NE Historic Buildings

Cabela's

Cabela's oldest existing retail showroom, the 17,000-square-foot Kearney, Nebraska store, is filled with all the quality outdoor gear you expect from the World'

Kearney, NE Sporting Venues

Trails & Rails Museum

The Buffalo County Historical Society/Trails and Rails Museum traces the history of transportation through Buffalo County on a site where the Mormon Trail once passed. Displays include a Union Pacific steam engine, an 1898 depot, 1898 church, 1880s Freighters' Hotel, an 1871

Kearney, NE Museums

Things to do Historic Homes near Kearney, NE