LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Historic Hanson House


category : National Register
Historic Hanson House

This simplified Queen Anne dwelling was built about 1888 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is the childhood home of Dr. Howard Hanson from 1896-1917. He was a musician, educator, composer, and achieved international status. Hanson was born in the house in 1896, and his family continued to reside there until 1943. Hanson was known for his innovative methods of teaching music. He served as director of the Eastman School of Music of the University of Rochester, New York, for forty years and is credited with making the school nationally famous. Hanson' own compositions won numerous awards.


The home features beautiful stained glass windows, wood columns and a music room with the original Hanson piano. It has been lovingly restored inside and out by the Wahoo Women's Club, and is owned by the Saunders County Historical Society.


The house honors the five famous sons of Saunders County and is open for tours.



Hours: Memorial Day through Labor Day, Sunday from 2:00 - 4:00 pm, or by appointment.
Address: Corner of 12th and Linden
Phone: 402-443-3090

Come visit us in Wahoo, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Bethlehem Lutheran Church

The first Lutheran services ever conducted in Wahoo were in 1880. They were conducted by Rev. Nels Nordling, pastor of Edensburg church of Malmo and were held in the N.J. Anderson photography gallery. On December 25, 1883 the Swedes organized the present congregation. Lots 4, 5, and 6

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Czechland Lake Recreation Area

Czechland Lake Recreation Area is a multipurpose reservoir located one mile north of Prague and 15 miles northwest of Wahoo, Nebraska on Highway 79. The area offers a variety of outdoor activities for all seasons.

The 82-surface-acre lake is situated on 177

Wahoo, NE Recreation

St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church

The first group of Czech settlers to come to the vicinity of Wahoo arrived in August of 1874. These settlers, who were of the Catholic faith, had to travel 15 to 20 miles in order to attend mass. For three years these settlers traveled to Plasi, Fremont or Abie to attend services. Finally in 1877

Wahoo, NE Historic Churches

Mormon-Ox Bow Trail Marker

The Saunders County Historical Society was the recipient of one of two rocks making up the Twin Rocks marker on the Ox-Bow Trail through the generosity of Don Johnson of Ceresco and Christine Nygren of Ashland.

Wahoo, NE Historic Trails

Saunders County Historical Society Museum

Experience Saunders County history through its complex of seven buildings and caboose on 5 acres of land.

The Main Building completed in 1994 and the newer Anderson-Nelson addition house displays and exhibits about Wahoo'

Wahoo, NE Museums

Things to do National Register near Wahoo, NE