Historic Iron Crosses

category : Historic Cemeteries
Historic Iron Crosses Numerous iron cross grave markers are located in the cemeteries throughout Ellis County near the outskirts of the communities. The St. Fidelis Cemetery north of Victoria attracts many visitors because of the unusual iron crosses. Out of town visitors on their way to see the magnificent “Cathedral of the Plains” will often notice the numerous iron cross grave markers. The ornate and decorative crosses were made of steel and various pieces of iron by local Volga German blacksmiths. Using a hammer, anvil and forge, these early artisans crafted crosses of iron, steel and other metals, often from pieces of scrap material. The cross represented the sacred and the iron represented strength--attributes of the pioneers they honored. The iron crosses were particularly suited as prairie monuments. Unlike wooden crosses, those made of wrought iron or other metals were tough enough to withstand prairie fires, storms and even time itself. These crosses mark the gravesites of the earliest burial locations in the St. Fidelis Cemetery.

The various cemeteries in Ellis County have anywhere from 13 to over 100 iron cross grave markers. St. Fidelis cemetery, located just north of Victoria has the most iron crosses with 110. You are welcome to visit any of these cemeteries sunrise to sunset.
Antonino -13
Ellis - 21 (St. Mary’s & Mt Hope)
Hays - 28
Pfeifer - 50
Schoenchen - 32
Walker - 16

Most farms had a blacksmith shop on site and the crosses could be made in the winter when the farm work was slow and the heat of the forge was more tolerable. Some parts such as crucifixes were ordered from large cities. Most of the local crosses were forged and not cast.

The tradition of using wrought iron crosses for grave markers goes back at least to the 1600s in Austria and Bavaria. The most prominent use of the ornate wrought-iron grave crosses were by the Germans who immigrated from Russia to Western Kansas, South Dakota and North Dakota. To the casual observer, one might interpret the blacksmith artists were trying to convey a celebration of life of the deceased with the beautiful scrollwork of sunbursts, vines, roses, lilies, angels and hearts. Behind every cross there was a story and for each story, the iron crosses could continue to preserve the memories of those loved ones they paid tribute to.

For additional information call the Hays Convention & Visitors Bureau at
785-628-8202. or

Admission: FREE
Hours: Sunrise to sunset
Address: Ellis County
Phone: 785-628-9202
Our Email:

Come visit us in Hays, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Kansas Postcard Collection

The Kansas Postcard Collection was donated to Fort Hays State University and the community of Hays by the Association of Community Arts Agencies in 2006. The display is located in the FHSU Robbins Center and is one of the largest collections of original Kansas Art in the world. There are 635

Hays, KS Arts

Volga-German House

Located on the grounds of the Ellis County Historical Museum is a replica of a Volga German house furnished with authentic household items used by the Volga German settlers. The first homes built by our early settlers were constructed of sod. Typically the homes were 28 feet long and 16

Hays, KS Museums

Historic Fort Hays

Fort Hays was an important US Army post which was active from 1865 until 1889

Hays, KS Forts

Historic Hays Driving Tour

A self-guided driving tour to over 30 locations throughout the community provides the opportunity to see some of the most important landmarks, historic sites and points of interest in Hays. The tour begins at 27th &

Hays, KS Historic Markers

Bickle/Schmidt Sports Complex

Bickle/Schmidt Sports Complex 1376 Hwy 40 Hays, KS 67601 785-623-2650 Fax: 785-623-2650 Construction of the Bickle/Schmidt Sports Complex began in 2010 and completed in the fall of 2011. This brand new facility sits on 120

Hays, KS Sports Complexes

Things to do Historic Cemeteries near Hays, KS