LASR.net Homepage




Menu

John Brown Memorial Park


category : Memorials
John Brown Memorial Park The twenty acre John Brown Memorial Park is a National Historic Site donated to the State of Kansas by the Womens Relief Corps to preserve the site of the Battle of Osawatomie, August 30, 1856, when John Brown and his band of some forty men fought in what was to be one of the first battles of the Civil War. John Brown tried to defend Osawatomie against the Missouri men, but was unsuccessful and thetwon burned. Brown's son, Fredrick was the first victim; he was shot in cold blood.

The park was dedicated August 30, 1910, by President Theodore Roosevelt at which time he gave his famous New Nationalism speech. A short distance north of the park entrance is a life size statue of John Brown done by Geroge Fite Waters. Also in the park is Adair Cabin/John Brown Museum State Historic Site. The stone pergola houses the original log cabin used by John Brown.


Hours: Outdoor viewing year round. Museum hours:
Wed - Sat, 11:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sun, 1 - 5 p.m.
Mon & Tues, 11 am - 5 pm if volunteers available.
Address: 10th and Main
Phone: 913-755-4383

Come visit us in Osawatomie, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

John Brown Memorial Park

The twenty acre John Brown Memorial Park is a National Historic Site donated to the State of Kansas by the Womens Relief Corps to preserve the site of the Battle of Osawatomie, August 30, 1856

Osawatomie, KS Memorials

Soldier's Monument

The Soldiers Monument was dedicated August 30, 1877, and was erected to honor the five men killed in the battle of Osawatomie, August 30, 1856.

Osawatomie, KS Monuments

Pottawatomie Creek Bridge

The Pottawatomie Creek Bridge which spans Pottawatomie Creek at Sixth Street is one of two Marsh Arch triple span bridges located at Osawatomie. The other spans the Marias de Cygnes River at Eighth Street, and both are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Osawatomie, KS Historic Bridges

Adair Cabin State Historic Site and Museum

The territorial log cabin, which now houses the John Brown Museum, was built in 1854 as the home of Reverend Samuel L. and Florella (John Brown's half sister) Adair. The home was frequented by Brown during his several journeys to Kansas between 1855 and 1858. The Adairs shared John Brown'

Osawatomie, KS Museums

First Land Office

This land office building was built in 1854 and was used by the first mayor of Osawatomie, H. B. Smith, and his brother who were the first land patent agents in the territory. It was deeded to the city in 1954 by A. W. Youngberg as a memorial to his wife.

Osawatomie, KS Pioneer Life

Things to do Memorials near Osawatomie, KS