The John Gee Black Historical Center is a cultural and educational center to insure the preservation of tradition, culture, crafts, music and art of the African Americans in Southeastern Ohio and to educate our diverse people about African-American traditions and about the past and present contributions of African-Americans to this country.
John and Barbara Gee organized the John Gee African American Methodist Espiscopal Chapel in 1818, meeting first in a schoolhouse on Pine Street, which served them until 1866. John Gee, a skilled carpenter, built houses in Gallipolis and donated the land at 48 Pine Street for the first church edifice.
The Center offers for viewing:
• Museum pieces
• Underground railroad history
• Information regarding the Emancipation Celebration, of which Gallia County has observed continuously since 1863.
Hours: Open the first and third week of the month from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and by appointment for groups.
Address: 48 Pine Street
Come visit us in Gallipolis, Ohio