John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home Museum and Memoria

category : Famous Homes
John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home Museum and Memoria The Curry home was built in 1900. John Steuart Curry was then three years old. He lived in the home until he was eighteen. In 1987, the home was offered to the Jefferson County Historical Society. in lieu of being destroyed. The Society purchased a strip of land adjoining Old Jefferson Town, and the house was moved there in 1990. The house has been under renovation for several years and was officially opened May 3, 1997.

During the 1970's, Nelle Curry Manville collected memorabilia of John Steuart Curry, and in 1977, the John Steuart Curry Memorial Gallery was dedicated displaying this collection. Susan Krebs, president of the Art Guild, published "The Plainsman" and copied the many newspaper items, magazine articles and letters which had been gathered, preserving them in large notebooks. Family members, sisters and brothers, have donated many pictures and objects. Kathleen Curry, his wife, has donated personal items and a bust. The entire collection has been moved into the new Curry home museum.

One room is entirely devoted to the family. Another room contains major paintings, lithographs and letter art. One room has examples of his commercial art. There are displays of his personal objects and photographs of murals. The final room can be used to research news clippings, articles and books about Curry. There are also some special works hung there.

The restoration effort is a tribute to those who have donated money, possessions, time, talent and expertise. Many people and organizations have contributed to allow this project to be completed, although there is still money needed for further work. We give thanks to all volunteers as well as merchants and clubs that have helped. They have done everything needed to get the John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home Museum and Living Memorial opened.

Admission: free will donation
Hours: Hours: All buildings are open from May through September - Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Sundays: 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Address: Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, KS
Phone: 7857666342
Our Email:

Come visit us in Oskaloosa, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Winchester Jail

Built in 1909, this jail came from the town of Winchester, Kansas. Since it was not fireproof, it was never locked. It was a place for drunks and tramps to sleep. The jail was a meeting place for the city council, police court and voting.

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Old Jefferson Town, Museum, and Research Library

Old Jefferson Town is a collection of nine restored and furnished vintage buildings from different locations around Jefferson County. They are preserved as a historic town of early day settlements. The town was named because of Jefferson County being referred to as Ol' Jefferson.

Oskaloosa, KS Museums

Wellman Schoolhouse

The school was built in 1887 on the homestead of Harrison W. Wellman, in the southeast part of Jefferson County. It is typical of the many one-room country schools that were located every few miles within the county and throughout the country. School Ditrict #70 was formed in 1871

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Tibbot Schoolhouse

Originally a country schoolhouse located southeast of Oskaloosa, the Tibbot school was moved to Oskaloosa in the 1950's and became part of the grade school, along with the Lone Tree, Kilgour and Plum Grove country schools. The building was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1975.

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Nincehelser House

William J. Nincehelser moved to Jefferson County from Ohio about 1880, married Minnie Wendorff, and moved into this house in Oskaloosa. Mr. Nincehelser had a livery stable on the square and operated a

Oskaloosa, KS Museums

Things to do Famous Homes near Oskaloosa, KS

Curtis House

View this beautifully historic residence that was home to Charles Curtis. Charles Curtis served as vice president under Herbe...