LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Kibbee Cabin


category : Pioneer Life
Kibbee Cabin [Kibbee Cabin] The Kibbee Cabin is a reproduction of a log cabin which stood on the crest of the Santa Fe Ridge (commonly called "Big Hill") north of Baldwin where a group of Methodist ministers met to form Baker University in 1857. It was also the site of the first sermon preached by the church to white settlers in Kansas. Lucius Kibbee, who originally owned the cabin, was acquitted in Kansas' first manslaughter trial for killing a proslavery neighbor who attacked him because of Kibbee's stand against slavery.


The floor and some of the furnishings are from the original cabin.


Address: 5th Street, Elm and Fremont

Come visit us in Baldwin City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Grove and West Parks

Grove Park, Fremont and Third, and West Park, 11th and High, are tree-shaded city-owned parks equipped with children's playground areas with swings, slides, and other equipment.

Baldwin City, KS Parks


The Historic Santa Fe Depot

The Santa Fe Depot was built in 1906 and is the only remaining depot of Kansas' first railroad south of the Kaw, the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Ft. Gibson.

It includes unique architectural features of triple arched windows, floor water cooler, dual gas/

Baldwin City, KS Railroad History

Baldwin, Historical Marker

Here, and for the next 300 miles west, Highway 56 roughly follows the old Santa Fe Trail, and frequently crosses it. White settlement began in this area in 1854, the year Kansas became a territory, and in 1855

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Clarice L. Osborne Memorial Chapel

This chapel's history takes a little more than a glance to read, but the story of its transport from a small town in England to its resurrection at Baker University is remarkable.

In 1864, after nearly six decades of meeting in local homes, a small Methodist congregation in Sproxton (

Baldwin City, KS Historic Churches

Things to do Pioneer Life near Baldwin City, KS

Blacksmith Shop

The blacksmith shop was an important part of the rural community. Blacksmiths kept the town in working order the same way an ...

Old Schoolhouse/Residence

Lyndon's first school was located in the home on Madison Street shortly after Lyndon was founded in 1870. The house continued...