LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Reynold's General Store


category : Pioneer Life
Reynold's General Store Much of of the Midwest was dotted with small towns around the turn of the century. The general store was the main source of sustenance that allowed these small towns to survive. They provided food, clothing, farming materials, household items, and a few additional luxuries. Wesley Reynolds built this general store in 1887 on Main Street in McLouth, Kansas, and operated it until the 1920's.


The store is furnished with the original shelves and counters and was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1970. Although the store does not handle the capacity it once did, you can still buy handcrafted items there that have been produced by members of the Jefferson County Craft Guild.


Admission: free will donation
Hours: All buildings are open from May through September - Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Sundays: 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Address: Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, KS
Phone: 7857666342
Our Email: maggie2929@hotmail.com

Come visit us in Oskaloosa, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events


Wellman Schoolhouse

The school was built in 1887 on the homestead of Harrison W. Wellman, in the southeast part of Jefferson County. It is typical of the many one-room country schools that were located every few miles within the county and throughout the country. School Ditrict #70 was formed in 1871

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Sam Peppard's Wind Wagon

Samuel Peppard, a blacksmith and wagon maker during the mid 1800's, has provided the area with one of the most famous and interesting stories. While looking for adventure in the drought year of 1860

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Tibbot Schoolhouse

Originally a country schoolhouse located southeast of Oskaloosa, the Tibbot school was moved to Oskaloosa in the 1950's and became part of the grade school, along with the Lone Tree, Kilgour and Plum Grove country schools. The building was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1975.

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

Bowstring Bridge

Built in Cleveland, Ohio, the bowstring bridge was originally located across Rock Creek, north of Meridan, in 1875.

The 48-ft long, 14-ft wide bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990

Oskaloosa, KS National Register

Things to do Pioneer Life near Oskaloosa, KS

Blacksmith Shop

The blacksmith shop was an important part of the rural community. Blacksmiths kept the town in working order the same way an ...